New Member - Aloha from Maui

Hula Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Wailuku, Maui, HI
New to BYC, thanks for having us!! We live in Iao Valley, a beautiful and less urban area of Wailuku, Maui. Our first batch of babies arrived in May from the Asagi Hatchery on Oahu. We currently have 6 hens, two of which should be laying soon.

1 Barred Rock (Roxy) who unlike other posts describing BRs, is not always sweet. She is the Big Boss and pecks at me every chance she gets, but she is a gorgeous gal with a big fluffy butt. We think Roxy will be the first to lay as she's giving us all the signs.

1 Americauna (Maryanne). We used to have a Ginger who decided she was a rooster and was shipped off to another farm. Maryanne is the mother in the flock who keeps our naughty ISA Browns in line.

1 Araucana-ish (Gabby) who we rescued from another farm. We brought Gabby to live with us because her prior owner needed to downsize. In hindsight, we should have opted for one of the chicks. Gabby is extremely skittish as her prior home was 10+ acres and coop-less. Our backyard isn't nearly as big, but she's become comfortable with us and seems happy.

3 ISA Browns (Charlie Girl, Robin and Pepper II) we received after having to get rid of 4 of our original 6 because they decided to live their lives as roosters. Ginger, Pepper I, Millie and 'Ele now live on a large farm in Kula (country area of Maui) and can crow all they want.

Again, thank you for having us!!! We'll be checking in soon.

welcome-byc.gif
I hope (in fact, I'm sure) you're enjoying your flock.
I got my chicks a month later than you (due to a vacation with my family I had to choose a different shipping date) I just started getting eggs last week from my White leghorn. Sounds like you've got a lovely mix too. BTW, sorry if I sound dumb, but what is and ISA, I'm searching all through my brain and can't find a breed that fits the abbreviation. Maybe it something that I've never heard of before.

Hope you have a great day!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice little flock there, should be a colorful egg basket when they get going.

Back
Top Bottom