New member Amanda in New York Issues with Muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amandan19, May 2, 2017.

1. amandan19

amandan19 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2017
    Hello my name is amanda and I am new to this site, glad to have found it [​IMG]. I have two muscovy ducks 1 male and 1 female. I was never looking to have muscovys but our property has a pond on it and backs up to a very nice stream. well jake ended up on my property one day and he was waaay too social to be wild so I figured he was a fugitive on the run lol. I did try to find his owners but nothins. in upstate NY we can have harsh winters so my husband built jake a pen indoor/outdoor. and my neighbor and I went and got him a girlfriend at a farm upstate from us. so needless to say jake and daisy are nopw a bonded pair. HOWEVER I am having BIG problems with poor little daisy. she is 9 months old now and she started bleeding through her wings last week. I found out this is a blood feather issue. But she keeps rebleeding because jake keeps mating with her! I am trying to get him to leave the pen to go to the pond for the day so little daisy can start to heal but he wont leave the pen without her it seems. no daisy is all scabbed up underneath her wings its like a light brownish color. now I am putting banix on it and using gauze to clean the area. is she going to be ok? is there anything else I can do. if someone inboxes me I can give my email even. and daisy is not laying any eggs and she is 9 months old now is this normal?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Amanda and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Sorry, I know nothing about ducks, but the peeps on this forum sure do - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks I'd suggest posting your question there.

Best wishes
    CT

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    x2 on the advice @CTKen gave you

4. amandan19

May 2, 2017
    thanks so much for the advice I posted there

5. amandan19

May 2, 2017
    thank you for the welcome I did post in the duck area from the link I was given, thank you

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would keep Daisy away from him until she heals up. Then follow whatever advice the duck folks give you. Maybe the drake is just too randy for one female. People with chickens have the same issue with roosters overbreeding their hens. A lot of chicken folks aren't keeping roos for that reason.

Whoever socialized Jake may have had the same problems with him and dumped him.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Amanda [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I am another with no Duck experience but I do hope that the folks on the Duck Forum are able to help you out.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of Jake & Daisy, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. amandan19

May 2, 2017
    G'Day! Thank you I will introduce myself in the section you suggested as well and will share pics of Jake and daisy!

Last edited: May 3, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by