New Member ... and a little nervous!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LittleLostPup, Sep 26, 2011.

1. LittleLostPup

LittleLostPup New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi all!

I am very new to chickens, in fact I bought a house and the owner had chickens that did not go with them... so... I now am the proud momma of 9 pretty girls.

I have never had chickens, I'm going mostly by what books I have found and came on here so I could hopefully get some help. Luckily the owner left the bag of food the girls were eating so I know that, but everything else I'm getting is strictly from books. They seem like really nice girls, they are fairly friendly and none of them peck or anything. There are no roosters.

I have no idea what breed they are, but I do know the little things are laying eggs like crazy. I don't really know what is normal... but I know the last 3 days they have laid close to 20 eggs and I have no idea what to do with them all since its just me in the house.

I have dogs, a rabbit and a snake, but I've never had any kind of birds or anything, so they are brand new to me, so please forgive me if I ask dumb questions or seem a little lost.

I'm looking forward to getting to know more about my new little girls. [​IMG]

-Emily

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

How perfectly splendid! [​IMG] You've inherited some loving, generous pets who will happily provide you and your friends or neighbors with plenty of eggs in return for being loved and cared for! Welcome to BYC. There are some wonderful folks on here who will be happy to help you with questions or concerns. I do suggest you take the time to read the "chickens 101" area; it will answer lots of basic questions regarding care, housing, feeding, etc. The FAQ (frequently asked questions) can also save you some time and searching for information that has already been compiled. If you're stumped or need information that you haven't yet located, don't hesitate to post a question. ALL chicken owners had to start at the beginning at some point or another. You may also want to check out some library books on chickens. Congratulations on your "girls", and again, welcome!
    If you find you have more eggs than you need or can use, I'm sure your neighbors will be grateful and blessed if you share with them! You can also sell them or give them to people at church, or donate them to a local food pantry or ministry.
    ETA: There is also a "Henderson's chicken chart" (not sure the name is exactly right, but you should be able to find it via a Google or BYC search for chicken chart) that may help you identify the breeds of chickens you have, or you can describe them in detail and the forum members should be able to help you determine which breed(s) you have. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

The old owner needs to be tarred and feathered, but only during a moult.

There are lots of places to donate eggs. You can also sell them. One or two ads on craigslist and you'll probably have repeat customers. Kind of helps with feed costs.

OH and you can also hard boil the eggs and chop them up to feed to your birds. I leave the shells on and just chop together. It will give them more protien and calcium. Would be good for your dogs too. Well maybe not the shells. But the eggs are good for their coats.

You'll get the hang of this. You've come to the best chicken place on the web. Be aware though that a lot of us only wanted 2-4 hens and now.............well, chicken math set it. It can be addicting. Then again so can this forum.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

you came to the right place

Imp

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and welcome to BYC [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca

7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Plenty of nice ppl here to help when you have questions.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Make sure they are fed layer feed which can be purchased at a feed store. Ensure they have plenty of fresh water daily.

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Who knew adoption could happen so fast?? [​IMG] So glad to have you with us! [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hi Emily! [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by