New member and first time chick mother!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by doctorfeathers, Mar 29, 2015.

1. doctorfeathers

doctorfeathers New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Hi everyone! Yesterday I purchased my first-ever chicks! I have a Buff Orpington, White Leghorn, Barred Rock, Golden Sex Link, and two Rhode Island Reds (my sister-in-law decided she wanted her own chicken so she bought an extra RIR). I have them in a large plastic tub with pine shavings, Purina chicken starter food, water, a few natural elements for ambiance (stump, rock and stick) and a heat lamp hanging from the ceiling. One seemed sickly yesterday, very sluggish, but today she has perked up and is very active! She is the lightest of the "blondes" and I think the Leghorn. I am having a hard time figuring out which breed is which between the three "blondes". Lightest I think is Leghorn, the blonde with the darker back may be the Buff Orp, and the blonde all over possible the Golden Sex Link. Can anyone tell me what exactly is a Golden Sex Link? Thanks and I am very excited to embark on this journey of raising chickens!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] and congrats on your new baby chicks. They are such cuties. My guess would be the BO on the finger. Cannot guess on the other blondes.

Be sure to check them daily for pasty butts for the first week.

Have fun loving them. Feel free to ask questions.

Consider posting close up pics on the ones about which you have questions on what breed/gender forum and likely you'll get the answer.

3. doctorfeathers

doctorfeathers New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Thanks! I will try to get some close-ups and post them for the three I am unsure about. The one on the finger is the lightest of the blondes. Wish I would have taken pictures of the bins with names and the chicks.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! The various Sex links are hybrid mixes bred to lay a lot of eggs, and the color genetics of the parents allowes the chicks to be sexed at hatch by their color (in the red/golds the males are kind of yellowish and the girls are more reddish)... the red/gold sexlinks are usually kind of twotone so that one may be your sexlink ... and your blond all over chick the Buff Orp, they are usually pretty even colored ... the light/white one would be the leghorn.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have some pretty chicks, hope they turn out to be what you expect. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Cute chicks!

7. doctorfeathers

doctorfeathers New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    [​IMG]
    So this is a picture of my coop and I am now thinking I do not have enough space. We already plan on building another nest box but it still seems too small for 6 chickens. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    Coop measures approx 40"x48" (pallet base) and run is approx 48"X96"

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. The chick in the bottom right corner of the top picture looks like your Golden Sex Link. Golden Sex Link is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color at hatching (Kelsie2290 gave you the colors), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Other labels under which hatcheries market Red Sex Links include Gold Star, Red Star, Brown Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Isa Brown, etc. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Good luck with your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by