New Member and First Time Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SFChickensSBC, Apr 13, 2017.

1. SFChickensSBC

SFChickensSBC New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    This last Sunday I took the opportunity to get six chicks from Tractor supply. I'm hand raising them so they will be friendly. I've been browsing Backyard Chickens, finding the answers on how to care for them. There have been quite a few helpful posts, including using cat toys and parakeet toys to entertain my chicks. I know I have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Golden Sex Link, 1 Isa Brown, and 1 Cornish cross. The only one I know the breed for sure is the Cornish Cross. I am unsure of all of their genders.

[​IMG]
    Colonel Sanders/Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Peep
    [​IMG]
    Eggdaline
    [​IMG]
    Yolko Ono
    [​IMG]
    Princess Lay-a
    [​IMG]
    EggNog (Rooster?)

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your new flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Hi SFChickensSBC! [​IMG] Are you keeping them on newspaper? If you are, I would suggest you change it to wood shavings or even just tear up the newspaper. Newspaper is slippery for chicks, and they can develop leg problems. If you have any questions, ask away! You will get many answers.

4. SFChickensSBC

SFChickensSBC New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Thanks for suggesting that, this was only for taking photos. I currently use pine shavings in their brooder, but I can't take good photos under the infrared light.

5. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Okay, great! Good to know that you know!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] So glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. cinnabunz

cinnabunz Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2017
    Oh what cuties. Enjoy your new children!

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under SFChickensSBC [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by