1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member and having Bantam Anxiety

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Toots1234, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Toots1234

Toots1234 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Hi! Love this site and all the wonderful stories, helpful hits and guidance. And boy to I need guidance. I have three Bantam Cochin hens under a year old. The dominate one started crowing about three weeks ago and displaying aggressive behaviors, puffing up chest, pecking me--hard. Now the medium size one has started to crow too. And all have started to peck me, drawing a bit of blood. The two aggressive ones stock my other Reds and attack them, unprovoked! I don't know what to do. They are beautiful hens but complete little buggers. I do have a rooster, thought, not a bantam.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How positive are you that they are hens?

3. Toots1234

Toots1234 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Well, I'm new to chickens and all three have the same comb and wattle. They are around 6 months old ( I think), none have layed yet, though, one was "squatting" yesterday, the nicest of the three. When the two others crow it doesn't quit sound right, I giggle every time.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The bird pictured is a cockerel. [​IMG]

5. Toots1234

Toots1234 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Oh, really, lovely. Thank you for your help! Well, I wanted a rooster, just not three. I'm gong to hope that the smallest one is hen, her wattle and comb isn't nearly as large as the rest. So, the obvious question is...can I have two Bantam roosters and "possibly" one hen? [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually you would need more hens for harmony. Too many males will just overbreed your poor hen , and can physically damage her.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you put up photos at "what breed or gender is this," the folks will be sure to let you know if you have a second rooster, etc.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by