New member and hopefully soon new chicken raiser!

joehuckaby

Hatching
Mar 25, 2017
Parker, CO
Hey everyone!

My name is Joe and my wife and I just moved to Parker a few weeks ago. We are excited to start this journey of raising chickens. I am working to put together everything and after chatting with my wife she would prefer to get Hens that can go directly into a coop vs raising chicks. Does anyone have any advice on the best place around Parker to buy Chickens that are already old enough to be in a coop? Also preference on breed/hybrids for Colorado weather? We are looking to get 4-6 chickens and I am thinking we want to get some Amercauna (Easter eggers) and maybe a couple other good egg layers that are docile. We have a 3 year old that loves feeding the chickens at one of his best friends house and we want him to be able to engage with the birds on a daily basis :)

Thanks for the thoughts and as soon as I get to question about coops in colorado I will hit you all up again!

Best!

-Joe

G’Day from down under Joe
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, living in Aus I am not able to answer your location specific questions but I am sure others will be along soon to greet and you and hopefully offer some assistance.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello from Kansas, Joe, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Easter Eggers are a great choice and there are so many other nice varieties as well. I really like Red Stars for their docility and egg laying. Everyone has their favorites. It's hard to go wrong if you treat them kindly and quietly. Good luck to you and your flock and thanks for joining BYC!
wee.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Joe, it's nice to have you here! Chickens do better with cold weather than hot (as long as their coop is well ventilated) so pretty much any of the dual purpose breeds should do well for you.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom