New member and new chicken mama!

cindagram

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2018
Hi! My name is Cinda and I live in Turner, Oregon.
I am 45 years old and I’m a new grandma to my sweet 21-month-old grandson and now chicken mama.
My husband and I moved out to the country on a little bit of land once we became grandparents. It’s really important to us to give our grandson an experience outside of the city.
We have a little pitbull rescue that we’ve had two years now and he’s adorable. Eventually we plan to get some hair sheep to eat down our little one acre pasture.
It took me several months to get the coop and run built but it is up and running and I finally have my girls in it.
Since I am new to this I did not want to raise them from babies so I purchased them between the ages of 6 to 12 months old. Initially I got two leg bars, three Rhode Island Reds, and two molted Java’s.
My husband went out of town and I accidentally went and got three more! Hehe. Two more leg bars because I love the blue eggs and one Icelandic. I did not realize though that this might be a mistake because they are only 12 weeks old. I have them in a dog crate inside my run and I can already tell this is going to be a long month of keeping them in there until they are bigger.
Luckily I have all of you to ask my billion questions instead of my poor neighbors that I have bombarded !!
I subscribed to this website because I have been googling a ton of questions and this site always has the best answers. I love how everyone is so kind and willing to help. It’s like everyone is a loving chicken family so willing to help and that makes me very appreciative and happy.
Thank you BYC for having this amazing site, and in advance for everyone here in helping me learn how to be the best chicken mama I can be!

Welcome to BYC Broody with chicks.jpeg

It is great to have you here!

Hello, welcome to BYC. I too am new to chickens and my lovely wife are now grandparents to a soon to be 3 year old. She/we and her parents are waiting for September 10 when her little sister is due to arrive :ya. Being a Papa is the single best job I have had:celebrate. My wife and I are 61. I’m sure at 45 you have more energy to chase grandchildren enjoy the grandson and the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom