New member and new chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DeniseR, May 28, 2016.

1. DeniseR

DeniseR New Egg

May 28, 2016
    Hi all. I'm excited to be here. My son has done chickens at his school for the FFA for the last 2 years. We decided 2 months ago to try the chicken thing ourselves. Any advise is appreciated. We have 10 pullets (5 different varities) at least I hope they are all truly pullets. We have Rhode Island red, americana, silver whinedots, black sex links and marine cuckoo. What are some of your favorites. We are in southern California.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

I would suggest checking out the "Learning Center." There are tons of articles full of necessary information there. Good luck on your chicken venture!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How nice that you have started raising some chickens of your own :clap
    I'm sure you will enjoy it very much, they sure are lots of fun. Have you checked out the learning centre? Lots of great info there on keeping your birds happy, safe and healthy. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I'm afraid I've not kept of the breeds you have. I keep mainly polish. The breed focus would be great for you to look through ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/975504/chicken-breed-focus-project

Good luck with your new adventures and enjoy BYC :frow

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!!

Congrats on your little flock! Great choice of breeds :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Denise, maybe your son could teach you about chickens lol. OR you could check out the Learning Center above. Glad you joined the BYC community. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by