New member and new chicks coming

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by roger519, Jan 6, 2017.

1. roger519

roger519 Just Hatched

Jan 3, 2017
    This is new to me and have studied a lot and trying to learn a much as possible from every one about Feeding ,raising and caring for new chicks. When do I need to start using grit for my chicks. Using purina start and grow feed

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, roger519, and :welcome! Great to have you with us. When feeding a chick ration, which generally just dissolves and grit is not needed, you don't have to be in a hurry giving them grit. Generally at about two weeks old, a week before I start giving them some ground up scratch and some greens, I will introduce grit. What I do (learned on BYC) is to add grit to their chick ration in an amount that would be like us salting our food. This allows grit in the gizzard to grind up anything tougher than their chick feed. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. To further add to the advice from redsoxs, this link should answer your question - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some good information and links so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here.

Hope you're enjoying the birds!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Definitely check out our learning center! @CTKen has left you with the link.

Good luck with your new chicken raising adventures. Welcome aboard![​IMG]

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! You have received some great advice and links, so I'll just say thanks for joining and best wishes!

7. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hello Roger! welcome to Backyard Chickens.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under roger519 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links, I will just wish you all the best and add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. roger519

roger519 Just Hatched

Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks to all I now feel at home with everyone after this friendly welcome again. THANK YOU

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I like the way Redsoxs explained sprinkling grit on top like you were salting your food. Even I can understand that. Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by