New member and new to chickens! (Suggestions on where I can buy a Silkie Bantam chick?)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenSarah, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ChickenSarah

ChickenSarah New Egg

Feb 4, 2012
    Hello everyone!

My name is Sarah and I'm from NC.
    I absolutely love chickens and my dad and I plan on starting a chicken coop in the backyard, so suggestion or information is greatly appreciated. My plan is to raise them from chicks and keep them in my room until they are ready to be moved outside. (I know it will be messy but it's worth it). I plan to have six female chicks on April 6th, since that's when I have spring break and I can devote all my time to the chicks. However, I am not sure where to get them. Help would be great since I want to make sure I get them from a decent place so they are healthy. Also, I really want at least just one Silkie Bantam chicken. Does anyone know who I could buy one from as a baby that is in NC (preferably near Monroe, NC)? That is where I would mostly appreciate help. Thank you so much!

2. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Hatcheries carry Silkies in most colors - or you can look in the Sale ads here -- NC has some great Breeders but those tend to get expensive and you may want to start out with a couple from a hatchery and see if you like them first --Most of us Silkie Breeders have a few in the house and as long as you spot clean a few times a day you can keep the mess down --- Good luck they also have information for Juniors on the ABA /APA site that you might really enjoy

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Sarah, Hope you find what you're looking for. Here's the place to go for coop ideas! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

4. chicknubee

chicknubee New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    Central PA coal country
    I am from Central PA and I ordered my chicks from a company that can send me smaller orders.
    My chiks are being shipped March 21. I hope I can keep them alive!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Try posting on the silkie and north carolina threads for chicks. Good luck!

6. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Hi! [​IMG] I am not too far from you, about an hour northwest. I raise silkies and may be able to help at that time. You are welcome to check out my site. www.boutthymefarm.com and let me know if I can be of any assistance. [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC, Sarah.

Craigslist is a good place to look.

~AnnElise

9. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG]from Kentucky!! I hope you enjoy it on here!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined us. Good luck with your search. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by