New Member and new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BantamBonzo, May 14, 2016.

1. BantamBonzo

BantamBonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2016
    Brunswick GA
    I just recently started on the chicken hobby and treated myself to 6 bantam silkies. My dogs just think they are babies and are either protecting them or hiding from them lol They are about ready to move into the coop we are building and I could use all the advice we could get lol

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I'm new too. I just put my chicks outside in the coop. I am really stressed over it but they are all feather out and love to run around scratching and even trying to roost. I am still being cautious about my dog though. She is a lab/border collie mix breed. She is really smart so maybe I can teach her not to bite/eat them. I am hoping to let them free-range in another month. I use to raise chickens before but mama hen took care of the chicks but now its up to me, much harder.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you join us.

The Coops section and the "Coops and Runs" forum are good places to start with. If theres one bit of advice it would be to build a bigger coop than you originally plan cos chicken maths will catch up with you sooner or later.

All the best

CT

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us over here! If your chicks are fully feathered (around 6 weeks of age) and the weather is mild they should be fine outside. Take them out for day-trips a few days before leaving them out overnight though, so they can get used to being in the great outdoors and the fluctuating temperatures first. That would make the final move much easier for them.

On a side note, if you're interested in showing off that coop build, we are running a coop page contest at the moment. More info on that here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-and-run-page-contest-winter-spring-2016/0_30

Enjoy the site!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to check out the "Silkie thread." - a great place for any silkie questions you may have.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. BantamBonzo

BantamBonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2016
    Brunswick GA
    Thanks all! My babies just started laying during hurricane mathew so not knowing how old the eggs were I was trying to let them hatch them. The girls aren't broody yet so we rigged up a temp incubator until the one we ordered gets here around the 29th. Am thinking I may waot until the eggs start chirrping and put them back in the nesting box and hope it all goes well. Yeah we are already looking at adding on to the coop lol

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hell from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased to have you in our community! :)

10. katiemoore

katiemoore New Egg

Oct 15, 2016
    Thnk you I'm new to raising chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by