New member and sick chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TracyandEmori, Oct 1, 2016.

1. TracyandEmori

TracyandEmori New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Hello everyone! We have 10 chickens (black sexed linked, austrolorpe, bhrama, americana, Sicilian Buttercup and soon 5 Red star). I am currently dealing with an ill chicken. We've had her for 3 years, has been a fantastic layer...never sick until last night. But let me back up a bit....it has been HOT, crazy hot down here in Florida. All of our chickens laying has dropped off significantly. Diet, cool water, supplement of veggies/fruits, grit free choice, lots of time in yard (they have a large yard themselves but I turn them out onto the property everyday), coop is cleaned daily, nest boxes cozy....not sure the reason for the reduction in eggs other than the heat. So now..onto my problem with the sick chick.

Around 6 pm last night I noticed this chicken, Dip, in the nest box. She hasn't laid an egg in several days, so I thought it was an odd hour to be in the box but left her alone. Later that evening, 9 pm, I went to lock up and she was still in the box. I felt her abdomen and tush...seemed to feel a little hard. She squeaked a little when I picked her up and she pooped a little liquid. I felt that she may be egg bound..? So took her to take a warm bath, gave her some calcium (rolaids), massaged her gently, probed her vent and didn't feel anything. Took her out, but on a warm hair dryer and left her alone for about 45 min. After I came back she pooped a large amount of liquid brown stool and what looked like a dab or two of yellow looking yolk..possibly?
    Put her in the crate with water/food overnight. This morning, let her out and she went right to the water...drank a lot. Then into the nest box she went. She came down several times to drink and then back to box.....no egg. I've taken her out, felt her again..nothing seems amiss, no hard mass, clean tush, no prolapse. Gave her nutri drench. She is now just resting, not eating or drinking, no interest in scratching. So put her back in crate with food/water.

what do you all think? Think the egg ruptured inside?

She seems pretty lethargic now too...still drinking though.

2. TracyandEmori

TracyandEmori New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Removed a leathery, though intact, egg from her vent. She is now more active eating a little bit and socializing! Hoping she's recovering!

3. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    How were you able to remove it?

4. TracyandEmori

TracyandEmori New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    I saw a bit of it hanging out and it looked like she was trying to poop...I just gently pulled and it came out, all in one piece!

5. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Amazing. Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by