New member , Arlington Tn

TnClayboy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Hi everyone , exited about my new chickens 10 White Rock Hens , 10 Dark Cornish, and 2 Rhode Island Red Roosters named Gus & Capt Call . Lonesome Dove fan lol . Gus has Pasty Butt and he is not growing with the rest . They are 1 week old today . Hope he pulls out of it . I have been keeping him clean as I can . Any thoughts on this ? Or is he just a runt? Oh well he is my Favorite Runt or not

Alright
welcome-byc.gif

Put some Apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water ....
smile.png

Oh and make them some hard boiled egg's remove shell and serve and at this age one egg will feed 10 chicks ......
cool.png

Thanks I'll try the Apple Cider . I have Given them a hard boiled egg , and I have also been adding alittle crushed oats to there food also they seem to love it and I'm down to just one Pasty butt now I had 3 I also put a little Yogurt and sugar in there water for a few hours the other day .

Hi everyone , exited about my new chickens 10 White Rock Hens , 10 Dark Cornish, and 2 Rhode Island Red Roosters named Gus & Capt Call . Lonesome Dove fan lol . Gus has Pasty Butt and he is not growing with the rest . They are 1 week old today . Hope he pulls out of it . I have been keeping him clean as I can . Any thoughts on this ? Or is he just a runt? Oh well he is my Favorite Runt or not
Hi There, Welcome to BYC from central Louisiana
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about your runt with the Pasty Butt. Wash his bottom gently with lukewarm running water until it is clean, and then apply some triple antibiotic ointment to it. It should help him get over his Pasty Butt. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your runt.

Thanks Topdog24
You are Welcome and good luck with your chicks, i hope Gus has pulled out of his slump, i had a red sex link that went through those symtoms, i just kept its but clean and dipped its beak in the water to make it drink for a few days and it is doing great at 4 months.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, Apple Cider Vinegar at 3/4 teaspoon per one quart of water in plastic waterer only will help greatly with pasty butt. Probiotics work just as well. Empy one capsule into a quart waterer, discard the capsule and fill with water. Change these solutions daily and make new.

You can soak the babies butt in warm water to help soften the crud. Blow dry him off well so he doesn't chill. And keep dipping his beak in the water so he gets enough of either of these solutions.

Good luck and I hope he pulls thru.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom