New Member Behavior Question

Nov 3, 2021
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum, and have a question about my Cayuga ducks. I'm a proud Cayuga duck mom to two beautiful 11 week old ducklings. I'm a first time duck mom, and I've learned a lot from research and talking with other duck parents. However, I've come across a behavior this morning that I couldn't find an answer online or asking others about. My girl, Frankie, grabbed my hand fairly hard this morning and wouldn't let go for about 30 seconds. She also tucked her butt in and got really low to the ground and did a quick happy feet stomping dance while giggling/grunting. She was chirping and running around right before this happened. I did my normal routine before I leave for work, by playing with their bills and petting their crops before this behavior started. Did she just get really excited? Any help is appreciated! I'm happy to be apart of this forum with fellow bird lovers!

Attachments​

Attachments

• 20211028_152141.jpg
    20211028_152141.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211028_152318.jpg
    20211028_152318.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 4
Have you always handled them a lot? Usually mating and dominance behavior towards humans is exhibited by ducks that have imprinted.
I have spent a lot of time with them since I got them. They are very snuggly, chatty, and chirp a lot when I'm around. They throw a fit when I leave for work, but it stops fairly quickly. They cry for me when I'm home too, but once I give them their treats, refill their mini pools, and forage with them for a bit, they are content with each other afterwards and put themselves to bed. I go out and close their coop door before I go to bed, and they remain quiet until morning.

I have spent a lot of time with them since I got them. They are very snuggly, chatty, and chirp a lot when I'm around. They throw a fit when I leave for work, but it stops fairly quickly. They cry for me when I'm home too, but once I give them their treats, refill their mini pools, and forage with them for a bit, they are content with each other afterwards and put themselves to bed. I go out and close their coop door before I go to bed, and they remain quiet until morning.
They are definitely imprinted then.

I figured they were too even though they were imprinted on each other, but wasn't 100% sure. Thank you 😊
Would that explain that happy feet dance and biting my hand? I've had several people say they are drakes, but they sound like hens for sure.
Yes imprinted ducks will often display mating and dominance behaviors towards humans they have imprinted on. They see you as another flock member.

Yes imprinted ducks will often display mating and dominance behaviors towards humans they have imprinted on. They see you as another flock member.
Interesting. I haven't seen them do that to each other yet, and this morning was the first time she's done it to me. What's funny is that Frankie has always been more of the submissive one that follows Grace around, and Frankie's the one that was displaying dominance towards me then. These girls sure have been amazing to watch and learn from, and I sure love them and their antics.

Back
Top Bottom