New member & bird owner

ErockRPh

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
Chepachet, RI, USA
It seems that every time I do a Google search with a duck or chicken question, the top 2-3 results are always from this site. I figured that this was a sign that I should join up :)

My name is Eric, I'm from Rhode Island, and I am the new owner of 8 chickens and 4 ducks. After a couple years of my wife asking if we could raise chickens, I finally gave in - under the condition that we get ducks as well. I also had to agree that we weren't going to eat any of our birds, so they are for egg/pet purposes only. Which is fine by me at this point, since I have to admit I am smitten with our new flock.

We were originally planning on 6-8 birds, but chicken math and state minimums quickly bumped that number up to 12. We have a little bit of everything. Our flock includes (all female to the best of our knowledge):

Chickens:
2 x Polish
1 x New Hampshire
1 x Golden Comet
1 x Black Jersey Giant
1 x Golden-laced Wyandotte
1 x Australorp
1 x Ameraucana

Ducks:
2 x Khaki Campbell
2 x Cayuga

Right now, the chickens are 7-9 weeks old, except the Australorp and Ameraucana, who are a couple of weeks younger. The ducks are about 4 weeks old, but are almost as big as the largest chickens. We got the Australorp and Ameraucana at the same time as the ducks (chicken math at work there). The Australorp fit right in with the older chickens, but our Ameraucana was tiny so we kept her with the ducks. That is now her flock, and she now thinks that she is a duck who hates getting wet :)

I'm still learning about my birds, but they're all settling in nicely. The chickens moved outside this week, and I'm hoping to get the adorable, yet stinky, ducks outside soon.

Looking forward to chatting with you all :)

For now everything sounds good. However drakes(male ducks) will often try to breed female chickens. Duck anatomy is very different than that of chickens. One may decide to go after your pullet masquerading as a duck. Drakes can severely injure or kill female chickens attempting to breed them.

You may want to try and get your pullet to hang with the chickens., before that happens.

For now everything sounds good. However drakes(male ducks) will often try to breed female chickens. Duck anatomy is very different than that of chickens. One may decide to go after your pullet masquerading as a duck. Drakes can severely injure or kill female chickens attempting to breed them.

You may want to try and get your pullet to hang with the chickens., before that happens.
I understand that surprises can always happen, but all my birds were allegedly sexed as females before I got them. I've heard that about ducks and chickens, and we will definitely be keeping an eye out just to be sure - especially because we're planning on keeping both flocks in the same fenced-in area. Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to BYC! You are so lucky to be able to have 12 Chickens! We have 5 now, we had six and I think that's our limit though I swear I read somewhere we could have 8 in South Carolina. I just have to remember where!

Back
Top Bottom