NEW MEMBER...BROODY HEN QUESTION

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rosieg, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Rosieg

Rosieg New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? YES I AM NEW...JUST LAST FALL

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 12 HENS 1 ROOSTER

(3) What breeds do you have? I HAVE SEVERAL MUTS, 2 BUFF ORPINGTONS AND A BARD ROCK ROOSTER

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? STUMBLED ACROSS IT ON THE NET.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? KNITTING

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. RETIRED

LIVE ON A LARGE ACRE FARM WITH FAMILY. HAVE MILK AND BEEF COWS.

MY BUFF ORPHINGTON IS BROODY, BUT SHE JUMPS FROM NEST TO NEST...ANY NEST THAT HAS EGGS IN IT. IS THIS NORMAL? SHE WILL SIT IN ONE NEST FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS AND THEN GO INTO ANOTHER NEST. I KNOW THE EGGS ARE FERTIL AS WE HAVE A ROOSTER.

2. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

I have no idea how normal that behavior may be as my orpington is always 1/2 broody. Is something scaring her off the nest box? My white rocks are bad about pulling another hen off a nest if it's one of their favorites. Again, welcome!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Help from Kansas, Rosieg, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I've often had my Orps go broody - must be their tendency. But I've never had them visit different nests. Are you concerned that she is not seeing it through to the end with a single nest of eggs? Or are you concerned about her being broody in the first place. If it's the latter, here's a link for you to explore: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=breaking+a+broody
    If it's the former, you might post your question in this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying Perhaps someone there has run across it before.
    Good luck and thank you for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some good links to check out so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

5. Rosieg

Rosieg New Egg

Apr 2, 2017
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    Thank you so much for the links. I'll take a look and run from there...
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Rosieg [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is this her first time being broody? Maybe you could keep her nest inside a cage so she doesn't hop nests, and let her out a few times during the day to eat, drink & poop. She may just not be fully committed to mama hood. Maybe the next time she will work it out.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS your rooster may not be getting to all your hens. Usually they have favorites and any ones that don't run & hide.

9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by