New member, but no chicks yet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shylis, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Shylis

Shylis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Greetings,
    I'm a new member, but I've been reading topics here for a couple weeks. I am doing alot of researching and planning before I get my chickens. And I thought I might as well join now. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, but I like to know as much as I can about what I plan to do, before doing it. I will be raising about 6 chicks for eggs. But I'm sure as soon as I have room, I will probably be breeding. That may be a couple years in the future still, but I'll have plenty of time to learn alot from all of you.

I live in west-central Missouri (USA) and I am intrested in the Ameraucana breed. It would be ideal if I could find bantam Ameraucana nearby to get my first birds from, but I doubt I'm that lucky. [​IMG]

2. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    [​IMG] from Michigan!
    You'd be surprised there are members from everywhere, you might make just the contacts you need.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    You THINK you'll only have 6 chicks...read up on 'chicken math.' [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your search. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Remember to build bigger than you plan. Such a pain to add on. Look at all the coop plans on the site and ask questions in the threads when you see them.

And come to me for hatching eggs. LOL You're going to want to learn about hatching if you're going to breed later and get GOOD birds now. It saves you later on. Go with breeders who will help you along too.

7. Shylis

Shylis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Lee's Summit, MO
    lol I've read about that chicken math. I orginally wanted just 3 or 4 hens for eggs, but now I'm thinking 6 is a good number. But I know I will have no more than 6 hens and no roos until I move out of city limits. That is all we are allowed here.

8. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    <-------- See my new fellow?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:There are BYC'ers everywhere!

I've been wanting Ameraucanas for some time, but the hatching eggs can be high and if your incubator messes up or your electric goes out for awhile, well, you're out $ . (My electric ONLY seems to act up when I'm hatching eggs and that's not that often! Go figure!)

I had all but given up on them when my fiance told me that he found a blue Ameraucana roo listed for free on the local online classifieds. Not wanting to get my hopes up, I called immediately.

Turns out, the lady that owned the roo lived only 5 minutes from me AND it's a co-worker's sister and fellow BYC'er! She got some test eggs from Happy_chooks in California and had them shipped to PA.

You just never know where your next chicken will come from!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

10. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by