New member - can you help me sex my Sebright

Jen Saayman

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2015
New to all of this. I have a 10 week old Sebright and would love to know if it's a rooster. It had some serious attitude and keeps on scaring our dog. The Sebright is definitely the boss.

Hi Jen! Welcome to BYC!

I'm not an expert in sebrights, but I would think that for 10 weeks that you're looking at a roo. You can always start a new thread in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" section of the forum. There are experts over there who know everything. ;)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Given the size and redness of its comb and wattles at only 10 weeks, your Sebright is a cockerel. :eek:( Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree that at 10 weeks you have a boy there. I had the same trouble with a black Orpington that a friend had given me. She was sure it was a pullet amd not having kept the breed before I took her word for it. I have to say it did look like a pullet to me but as the weeks progressed it started attacking the dog. I thought it was just being brave and had an attitude so a friend said he would take it into his bigger flock and where it would not encounter dogs. It turned out in the end he was a boy!! He's made a very handsome bird indeed but his aggression towards the dog should have made me realise maybe he was a boy.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Thanks everyone. We don't mind if he's a rooster, as long as he doesn't wake the neighbours once he starts crowing. We were given him as a rescue when he was 3 days old and knew nothing about raising a chick. He's defitely taken over the house. Sitting in the dogs basket and even taken to sleeping on our bed. He's totally freaked for cheese and will even steal some from the dog given half a chance.
We are in the process of building him a coup, at what age can he move outside? At the moment he's living in a cockatiel cage in our kitchen.

Thanks everyone. We don't mind if he's a rooster, as long as he doesn't wake the neighbours once he starts crowing. We were given him as a rescue when he was 3 days old and knew nothing about raising a chick. He's defitely taken over the house. Sitting in the dogs basket and even taken to sleeping on our bed. He's totally freaked for cheese and will even steal some from the dog given half a chance.
We are in the process of building him a coup, at what age can he move outside? At the moment he's living in a cockatiel cage in our kitchen.

You're welcome. He's fully feathered so you can move him outside at any time. If you live in a cold winter area, just be sure that his coop is draft free, dry, and well ventilated to prevent moisture from building up inside it. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. Also, if temperatures dip well below freezing in your area, you should probably smear some Vaseline on his comb to prevent frostbite.

Luckily we live in South Africa so mostly nice and warm. However, it can get to freezing in the winter months as we live on a river. He will be 7 months old then, so he should be ok. Though hubby suggested he sleeps inside if too cold. I can see how this little guy is slowly taking over in our home. He's definitely the cutest pet we've ever had. A total character. Thanks for the weather advise, appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom