New Member- chicken truck rescue owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ashnatjack, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Ashnatjack

Ashnatjack New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    Georgia
    I have one chicken (so far). A chicken truck rescue. Chicken Nuggets. I'm guessing her personality would be totally different from other chickens. We've had her since the first week in October. I guess she's about 12 wks old. I've heard that their organs get too big and not to feed them chicken feed. I've been giving her whole rolled oats and scraps. This past weekend, she started crowing! Any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Glad you joined us! Well, by 'chicken truck' I assume you mean it was on it's way to a processing plant. In which case it is probably a white colored chicken called a Cornish Cross - which is the THE meat chicken - it's what you buy in the store or restaurant. It is bred to eat, poop, and especially, grow - and grow quick. I haven't heard of not feeding the chicken feed - I think, no matter its destiny, it needs a proper diet. All that said, I have heard of this breed being "rehabilitated" with a modified diet and exercise to become more like a farm chicken and less like a couch potato. What are your intentions with it? If you keep it you might want to get another bird - chickens are social and need a little company.

2 people like this.
  3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Redsoxs has given you a excellent explanation on what is going on.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Ashnatjack

Ashnatjack New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    Georgia
    Hi! Yes, I was concerned about her diet. She's HUGE, about 15 lbs right now. We live in farm country just west if Atlanta, Ga. We actually have chicken farmers across the way from us, and several down the road. I was behind a chicken truck, in the rain, after dropping my kids off. Nuggets just popped out of the truck and landed on her feet on the side of the road. Thankfully, I had a blanket in the van. I wrapped her up and took her home. She's done well. We had her in the house for awhile. Then out during the day in a large dog crate and in at night. She's currently free range and in a dog kennel with an elevated, covered roost. A couple of my friends have rescued these guys in the past and placed them with their flock. One died and the other two started falling over due to their large body weight. She seems healthy and she is VERY active. She runs most everywhere she goes. My two dogs and five cats get along with her. I'm concerned that introducing another, smaller hen, might cause some aggression on her part.-sorry, meant to add; she's purely a pet. If we get any eggs...bonus!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I've not heard of Cornish X laying. At 15 pounds and with the intentions of being a pet, I think a modified diet might be in order. It might be the only thing that will insure any longevity for your rescued bird. Leg problems are a real problem with the breed - their bones don't strengthen fast enough to keep up with their skyrocketing weight. I have had Cornish pick at my younger egg laying breeds...until they got old enough to out-manuever the slower CornishX. I always kept them in different runs - I feared the Cornish would crush a young bird. I think you could slowly introduce another adult or near adult chicken if you wanted. Keep it so they can be close but not together and then slowly let them mingle. Might make for a happier bird. Good luck to you.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, good luck with your chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by