New member coming from East Palo Alto, California wanting help to identify flock.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VictorsBackYard, Feb 24, 2014.

1. VictorsBackYard

VictorsBackYard New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I joined to day because I'm excited to learn more about the hens I have just acquired from craigslist. I got them from a guy who said they were about 2 years old and have slowed down in laying eggs. He wanted to find them a good home so that he can get some new ones. Attached is a photo of the chickens. I asked him what type of chickens they where but the names escaped him. Its clear to me that there are 3 breeds. I want to know what they are. Can you help identify them as well as the rooster?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking, Victor.

2. chrissy903

chrissy903 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Hi number 7 is a rooster. Rest are all hens [​IMG]

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

# 7 Rooster the others are hens and I would say you have some
    Road Island Reds there .......

[​IMG]

A production RIR [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Looks like Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps. The Roo looks like a Black Australorp as well. Very nice flock! And how nice of you to take these birds. Many birds that are starting to slow down in laying, don't get to go to nice homes like yours! [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your new flock!!

5. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    [​IMG]
    I agree with TwoCrows: hens 1 & 2 look like Rhode Island Reds, hens 3 & 4 look like Black Australorps, 7 is definitely a rooster, and I'm not sure about 5 & 6. Best wishes. You will learn a lot of helpful info here.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 looks like you have RIR& Black Australorps / production reds& blacks and Welsummers girls, the roo looks like a Black Ameraucana or Easter Egger to me, I'm seeing a peacomb and beard and cheek puffs in the pic?, nice little flock!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could post photos in "what gender or breed is this," and get more opinions.

8. VictorsBackYard

VictorsBackYard New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Thank you all for your warm greetings and for your feedback on my chickens.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Production reds, probable Black Australorps, Welsummers, and what may very well be an Ameraucana rooster. They are very healthy looking birds, and in spite of their age will start laying once again in a month or so. You did well to get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by