1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New member.... Connie in N.C.,USA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by inadcon, Feb 14, 2018.

1. inadcon

inadcon In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2018
    Hi everyone! My name is Connie. I have been peeking around in here, for a couple years while I lived in a place where chickens were not allowed, but have since moved and now I should be able to raise a few. About 10 years ago I lived in Wisconsin, (which upon recent reflection had a climate resembling the Arctic). Now I am in the SE in N Carolina. Much better weather, and a home with a nice backyard. When I lived in Wisconsin, we had Rhode Island Reds, various bantams, turkeys, pheasants, (not all at once) in a run-down old barn. It was quite fun until the predators came for dinner. I am planning to buy a new coop at my new location and will have around 4 or so chickens. Not sure what kinds can tolerate our summers. But I am learning new stuff every day.

2. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome Connie! Glad you're here!

Chickens weren't allowed where you used to live!? I'm so glad you got out of there!

No, I know there are places where those regulations make sense (and other places where the local government just over-regulates). At any rate, I'm glad you're not restricted like that any more!

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

4. TomZilla43

TomZilla43 Songster

Apr 23, 2017
    White House, TN
    Hiya Connie, :welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here, I live in TN(similar climate) and have Speckled Sussex, Wyandottes, Marans, NH Reds, and a Black Australorp and they all seem to do fine here in the summer. Best of luck with your chooks :frow

N F C, drumstick diva and 007Sean like this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams 5 Years

G’Day from down under Connie :frow Welcome!

Very exciting that you can again have chickens :clap

You may find this article helpful: Pickin a Chicken

I do hope you enjoy being an active BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

I note you mention you are in NC but if you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week articles which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. A few that may be of interest to you at this stage:
    Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
    Topic of the Week - Chicken Keeping in Weather Extremes
    Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer
    Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Connie and congrats on being able to keep chickens :celebrate You have some great links above, and please don't hesitate to post any questions that you may have.

sourland, Plip and 007Sean like this.
  7. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

N F C, sourland and Plip like this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on the new home, and welcome to BYC and back to poultry keeping.

9. Aji Dulce

Aji Dulce Songster 5 Years

Jun 30, 2013
    Wake Forest NC
    Hi Connie, welcome. We have been in North Carolina five years. What part of North Carolina? I am just north of Raleigh. As we speak I am calling around to finally settle on who to order my chickens from. It is so exciting!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Connie. It's a pleasure you meet you :frow

N F C, 007Sean and Plip like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: