New member deciding how to build a cage.

Dan888

Hatching
Oct 7, 2016
This is my first post on BYC. I am going to start raising a small flock of quail for eggs. I have read a decent amount of information on them, but decided to have my plan looked at by others. I have decided to feed purina game bird startena 30% protein and supplement them by feeding bugs i catch occasionally. I will have a bowl of sand for the quail to dust bathe in. I will also have a bowl of crushed chicken egg shells for them to eat in order to have enough calcium to constantly lay eggs. The cage will be 5 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 1 foot tall. It will house 10-15 quail. The cage is going to be elevated off the ground with cinder blocks. Most of the cage will be wrapped in stainless steel welded poultry netting. A 4 feet wide and 1.6 feet long section will become a fiber glass box that the quail will go in when it rains, gets windy, or snows. This part will have a wooden floor covered in hay. I have live traps i am going to use to remove raccoons and foxes from the area. Any advice or comments on my plan? Thank you in advance for any responses!

Thank you for welcoming me Cynthia12 and CuzChickens. CuzChickens I have looked through the quail section and I agree it is very helpful. I am going to post this thread in the quail section as well because the people responding to threads in the quail section probably will have quail themselves and will be able to help.

Welcome to BYC - I hope that the quail peeps managed to help you out.

Best wishes
CT

Thank you all for welcoming me to BYC. I talked to the people on the quail form and decided the final ideas for the cage. I should be building it this fall and getting the quail in March.

Back
Top Bottom