New member deciding how to build a cage.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dan888, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Dan888

Dan888 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    This is my first post on BYC. I am going to start raising a small flock of quail for eggs. I have read a decent amount of information on them, but decided to have my plan looked at by others. I have decided to feed purina game bird startena 30% protein and supplement them by feeding bugs i catch occasionally. I will have a bowl of sand for the quail to dust bathe in. I will also have a bowl of crushed chicken egg shells for them to eat in order to have enough calcium to constantly lay eggs. The cage will be 5 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 1 foot tall. It will house 10-15 quail. The cage is going to be elevated off the ground with cinder blocks. Most of the cage will be wrapped in stainless steel welded poultry netting. A 4 feet wide and 1.6 feet long section will become a fiber glass box that the quail will go in when it rains, gets windy, or snows. This part will have a wooden floor covered in hay. I have live traps i am going to use to remove raccoons and foxes from the area. Any advice or comments on my plan? Thank you in advance for any responses!

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I have never raised quail, so I would not know much about the housing, but I suggest you check out the ''Quail'' page! Great info over there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have! Have fun with the quail. :D

4. Dan888

Dan888 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Thank you for welcoming me Cynthia12 and CuzChickens. CuzChickens I have looked through the quail section and I agree it is very helpful. I am going to post this thread in the quail section as well because the people responding to threads in the quail section probably will have quail themselves and will be able to help.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC - I hope that the quail peeps managed to help you out.

Best wishes
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Dan, you are in good hands with the quail folks.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dan, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck with your cage building and quail! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

10. Dan888

Dan888 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Thank you all for welcoming me to BYC. I talked to the people on the quail form and decided the final ideas for the cage. I should be building it this fall and getting the quail in March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by