New Member!!! Excited to get my chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by libertychickens, Aug 21, 2014.

1. libertychickens

libertychickens New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Liberty, MO
    Hello. I have been working with my city for the last couple months trying to get my chickens. I am pretty sure it's going to happen...YAY!!! Currently the code is that you have to have signatures from the neighbors that you share a fence line with and you can only have 3. I have one neighbor who is refusing to sign, which stops me from getting the city permit. At the last City Commission meeting they all agreed that the neighbor signature stipulation needed to be removed. The number of hens was another issue. I asked to have it raised to 6, at the meeting they were split 50/50 between raising to 4 and raising to 6. I'm looking for some feedback/information that i could use to help encourage them to raise the number of hens to 6. Any information would be great. Thank you and I look forward to your comments and learning more on backyardchickens.com

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
    Yay! So glad you can get some hens!!![​IMG]

Although three may seem like a little it is actually a perfect flock size. I had three hens for a while as my flock was falling apart. I still got 2-3 eggs daily and they were quiet, happy and there we no fights at all. Three is a good number of chickens.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Have you looked at breeds yet? I'd recommend the buff orpington. They are quiet, affectionate, friendly and good layers.
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy your stay.

4. libertychickens

libertychickens New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Liberty, MO
    The reason I was asking for more is I have a family of 5 and I wanted to be sure and have enough eggs for my family. I think my first flock will be half Rhode Island Reds and half Buff Orpingtons.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! A lot will depend if you are keeping them mostly as pets or mostly for eggs and if you are willing to cull birds that aren't laying, many of the pet breeds don't lay well so it would be nice to have a couple of pet birds and a couple of laying birds. Even if you have good layer breeds, if you are keeping the hens as pets and don't intend to rotate your flock, they will slow down on laying as they get older, so while a year year old hen may lay you 5-6 eggs a week, a five year old hen will probably only lay 2-3 eggs a week...so you would need a bigger flock to get the same number of eggs as the birds age. Also when adding to a flock it is easier to add more than one at a time, so if you have 6 rather than 4 total you have a better chance of being able to add more than one at a time ... if you intend to rotate your flock, just add/ cull two birds every year (most people who rotate seem to do it on a three year cycle).

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions. [​IMG] We're all here to help!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry you are running into issues trying to get some hens! I have never had to deal with neighbors and laws, so I am not sure I can help you. But I will give you all the support and encouragement to keep on trying!! I hope you can get yourself a flock soon. Hens are pretty quiet, a lot quieter than the endless barking dogs, motorcycles and airplanes flying over. If you keep it clean there is no smell at all, at least nothing the neighbors will smell. (I am sure this is their major concern) and wait til they taste your home grown eggs!! They will be glad you are their neighbor. :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds are good birds, but I would personally recommend the Wyandotte. My Wyandottes are hardy through both heat and cold and are good layers (5 eggs a week each). If you get six chickens, maybe you should get three breeds- Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, and Wyandottes would make for a pretty mix! I myself enjoy mixed flocks, and since there are so many pretty breeds of chicken out there, it can be hard to decide on just a couple!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by