1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member, First attempt at hatching-day 19-day 22, a sad ending

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sammysmom, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Hi. I'm a new member and am on day 7 of my very first hatch! I have 8 Buff Orpington eggs (from my hens) and just candled and have veins and movement in 6! One egg looks infertile (clear), the other questionable egg is dark on one side, has an air cell but I cannot detect veining or the beginnings of a chick. I am stoked![​IMG] I would be thrilled to get six chicks my first time out! Also, I am incubating in a Miss Prissy incubator. Although, it doesn't have a fan (couldn't find one way out here in the sticks!) and had to improvise a water wiggle. Hubby thinks he has a line on a fan from a computer guy at his work. This would be great as I have a dozen Delaware eggs coming this week and would love to have a fan on the MP incubator they are going to go in. That's right, right after we built the first 'bator, we just HAD to build another one. Hubby is also planning to build a hatcher. I think we need to see a doctor....we have officially caught egghatchingitis!! And I think it's terminal!![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG]

Good luck with the hatch. I don't think I could build my own bator.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I don't think it's a curable disease!! Congratulations!! Keep us posted on your hatch..[​IMG] [​IMG]:clap:fl

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    welcome to byc.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see pics of the babies!!!

7. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Thanks for all the well wishes. Hopefully I'll have plenty of babies to show off![​IMG] Sorry I didn't respond sooner. We've just had a ginormous thunderstorm and it temporarily knocked out my internet and tv satellite. We live off grid which is another challenge in running the 'bators. We've been having a real active monsoon season and a lot of cloudy days which is not real good when you depend on solar power. The other morning our power went out about 4:40 am. and of course we were out of gas for the backup generator![​IMG] Poor Hubby had to run into town real quick and get gas! Not to bad though; bator was only off for about 20 minutes. Needless to say, we now make sure we have plenty of gas on hand. Also hoping to get a wind generator real soon since the wind blows constantly here to some degree or the other. Ahh, the splendor of living off grid!![​IMG]

8. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Okay. So today is day 12. I candled and there are definite air sacs and dark blobs in 6 of the original eight. Is this good? [​IMG] My flashlight isn't that strong but I did see movement and veins in a couple of them. I'm going to see if Hubby can pick up an LED on his way home from work today. This is torture!!![​IMG] And on top of it all, I started 14 Delaware eggs from Ebay yesterday! I must be a glutton for punishment!![​IMG]

9. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Welcome and good luck this is so exciting...I am waiting for a bid to come through for a bator on e-bay....I have chicken fever!!!!!LOL!!!![​IMG]

10. Sammysmom

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Good luck on the 'bator![​IMG] I cannot believe how contagious this "fever" can be!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by