New member for 2013

venus

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi, my name is Andrea and I live in Auckland New Zealand. I live with my partner Phil and my son Sam, as well as our cat Venus and rabbit Daisy. We decided to look into chickens over the last few months and couldn't help but go out and buy a coop and then four baby brown shavers just two days ago. They are five and a half weeks old and just sooo cute.

I'm spending hours just looking at them and watching their antics. I'm trying to find out how to distinguish between them as they are still so young and don't have all their feathers grown yet or any individual personalities. I'm sure that will come over the next few weeks.

I have any number of questions to ask, like how often should I pick each of them up at the beginning without getting them stressed out? When will they want to eat kitchen scraps and come off crumble? Will they try to escape as soon as I let them out and how can I catch them? All these and so many more..... I'll start out by reading on, but will endeavour to ask questions as I have queries.

I look forward to hearing everyones news.

Happy 2013.

Andrea

frow.gif

Welcome! Happy New Year!

You have come to the right place for answers to your questions. I would suggest typing in some of your questions in the search bar, to begin with. After that, you can post threads asking questions in the forums related to the subject. Good luck to you!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
To answer some of your Q's quick: you can pick them up often and also just sit with them on you slap. It will keep them tame and used to you, which will make catching easier too! You can feed them kitchen scraps, but watch out for very salty food and off food and avocado, it can poison them or make them sick. If you feed scraps make sure they get some grit as well (just coarse sand will do if you can't find grit) to help them digest it. Keep them on crumbles until you run out, then switch to flock raiser/grower pellets and when they are 16 weeks old or older, layer food.

Enjoy your chickens!

Hi and :welcome
from Australia.

You can start feeding kitchen scraps when they're a couple of weeks old, just make sure it's nothing too big that might get stuck. :p They'll eat anything.
Pick them up as much as you want, it's good because it'll get them used to being round people. They'll be friendlier later on I guess.
If you don't want them running off you could invest in one of those rabbit run type things which'll keep them contained in the garden.
Good luck with your chicks, and I hope you have a great time raising them!

Welcome, I know what you mean, my favorite pastime in the summer is to sit a chair outside my coop and enjoy an afternoon beer while watching my chickens. Sometimes I sit there for hours...

Back
Top Bottom