New Member from Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Brewerpeeps, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Brewerpeeps

Brewerpeeps New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hello all. Just joined the site a few minutes ago though I have been lurking about for some time now. I used the site to get many ideas for my new Coop. It is not finished yet but very close. Just built the external egg box today and was very proud considering I have zero construction experience prior to this project. I looked over many coop designs, ideas for what/how to include things, breeds best for the city, etc. Every time I searched for something I ended up here, figured that it must be a solid site and so I joined. Found the handy template for noobs so I copied it and will add it here.

I am almost finished with my first coop. Built over the course of a couple afternoons with help from my wife and the dogs, though to them help mostly means attempting to eat any tools left on the ground unattended. Just needs the front wall of the coop, a roof and the top for the run and we are set. Will eventually put a large door in one side to allow people to get into the run for cleaning, feeding etc. I have never really built anything before but this went well IMHO. I built it 8 feet X 4 feet and 4 feet high. The coop is 2 feet up and it floored, walled with privacy fence boards. In fact , everything except the wire was given, salvaged, or re-purposed. I was pretty pleased with the project so far. In fact, I built the nest boxes today and was able to work out a rear collection hatch to allow for easy egg gathering.

I will post pics soon as I took several. Enough of a post I guess. Glad to be here.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Not exactly new, I had chickens as a child, or rather my parents had chickens. I took care of them for the most part though the work of building the coop, picking the birds etc was done by my father. My wife and I have been looking to get back to the country and while we wait for God's plan to reveal itself we thought that chickens would be a good starter course. We thought about it for sometime, did some research and now have 4 2 week old chicks in the garage awaiting the coop construction to be completed, as well as 3 full grown hens a friend has been kind enough to donate so we can get into the egg game now while the youngsters grow into egg production

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Currently have 4 2 week old chicks and have been given 3 full grown hens to be taken once the coop is complete

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Have 2 Barred Rock, and 2 Gold Sex links currently. Not sure what the free hens are, but will ask when I get them

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    In the course of researching backyard /city chicken raising I came to the site over and over, figured it must be a great site

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Reading, gardening, miniature wargaming(I know but it is the truth), Been trying my hand at building things lately(namely the coop :))

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share
    My Family consists of my beautiful wife, 3 children aged 9,7,5 2 Chihuahuas, a 4 month old american bulldog, and the new addition of the flock. I work as a Substance Abuse therapist(past 12 years). Live in the city though I was raised in the country. My wife's family all lives in the country and we spend as much time as possible there(mostly weekends). Thought of building a coop there but did some research and realized I could have them here, the rest is history

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]R[/FONT]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!
    [​IMG]

4. glddog

glddog Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Hey from Moody Al.! I'm new too:) no chickies yet:( I hope to start my coop anyday now. I have learned alot here already. And everyone has been super friendly!
    Take care and send pics of your coop soon!
    Dee in Bama

5. Brewerpeeps

Brewerpeeps New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Will do. I agree the people here are very friendly and they know tons about chickens. Looking forward to seeing you around.

R

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined

8. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Chillin' With My Peeps