New Member from Arkansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gwrigdon, Feb 3, 2015.

1. gwrigdon

gwrigdon Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2015
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Please pardon my ramblings - getting excited about the additions to the yard/family... [​IMG]

From Searcy AR looking to get started with chickens, want to start out with 6-8 Hens. Wanting chickens as pets, eggs for family of 3, and a couple of neighbors. Have a plan to build my coop 5' X 5' elevated coop - with a 3' covered area on the front of coop. Fenced area about 32' X 20' and some free ranging in the garden.
    Suggestions?????

2. gp329

gp329 New Egg

Feb 3, 2015
    Hello from Fresno Ca

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I was born in Hot Springs, AR, and still love that area. Given your criteria, I would suggest Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock - you may like meeting others from your area - if you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum you can locate and post on your state thread. After you have 20 posts you can participate in the BYC Buy,sell, trade forum.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Good luck with getting started on your chicken adventure. Michael and drumstick have given you some great advice. Here is the coop section with some great ideas and tips for coop building https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Good luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

6. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Nice to have you join us!

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

One breed that I would suggest would be the Wyandotte. Mine have been great pets that are docile and inquisitive. Mine have been very good layers, laying over 250+ eggs each per year. They are a very hardy breed, through heat and cold.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

There are many breeds that would probably work well for you. However, I particularly recommend Wyandottes. Australorps, Orpingtons, Sex-links, and Easter Eggers. All of those breeds tend to be gentle, hardy, and productive egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by