New Member from Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Redheads5, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Redheads5

Redheads5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Hello everyone,
    I have been on this forum several times to get answers and figured it was time to actually join. I can usually find the answers I am looking for quickly. I have had chickens for almost 2 years now. We started with 5 and have lost two. One I think had worms and the other not really sure why except she was 2 years old and had a great laying life. She was perfectly normal yesterday but seems to have died in her sleep. I do have a sexing question. I bought my husband 4 chickens for a Christmas present (going for the unique gift award [​IMG]) We I got them the seller "thought" he gave me all girls. On Monday I heard different noises from the usual coming from the coop. Wednesday I heard a very definite "cock-a-doodle-do". The new chickens are 5-6 months old. These are my two chickens I need help identifying and sexing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any info you can give me would be great. I know the black cochin (I think that the name) is a female and the black silkie partridge is a female.

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!! glad you joined us. as for your gender question, I think you are correct on the black birds. the bird in the middle of the bottom picture is definitely a rooster. the one in the first picture looks iffy as well, but I'm not sure. could you get a full body picture?

3. Donut Chickie

Donut Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Texas
    Welcome!! Hello from Texas!!!!! :D

4. Redheads5

Redheads5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Ok the one in the first pic with head only is the same one in the bottom photo. Darn things wouldn't stop moving! The one that is there in full body behind is the second one. I was looking at his pointy tail feathers

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] The 2 in the first pic look like roosters. I may be wrong on the one in the back though...

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

7. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

well in that case, I think they are both roosters

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Yep, 2 cockerels in the first picture.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Redheads5, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Enjoy your birds and good luck!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by