New member from Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by whitbytrader, Mar 5, 2014.

1. whitbytrader

whitbytrader New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    Hi, my name is Phil and I live in the village of Eden Mills, Ontario, Canada. We currently do not have any chickens but are looking at getting some chicks this spring. We are excited to be part of this group and look forward to learning all we can about raising backyard chickens. We are especially interested in the aspect of raising chickens in a cold and snowy climate as we have had numerous -30 nights this winter and the snow in our yard is close to 4 feet deep. I would be interested in suggestions as to which breed would do best in our climate and coop designs that would best fit our needs. We plan on getting 4 to 6 hens and will use them for fresh eggs.

Looking forward to talking with you soon

Phil

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Paul, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I am not sure if there is an Ontario thread, but here is a Nova Scotia thread that you might contact others as to how to deal with your brutally cold territory!! Sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it! [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/836363/nova-scotia-canada-any-other-east-coasters

If this thread is not all that active, you can post specific questions in the coop building or keeping your flock sections of the forums for some info from other Canadians or even PM them for some info.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    :D [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Brennigan

Brennigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

Yay! Its our first Spring with chicks too! You're going to love it here!
    Welcome!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Phil, welcome to BYC, and good luck when you get those chicks.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you could try posting on "Canadians Check In Here," thread

9. Quack House

Quack House Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Hi Phil,

I'm in Ontario as well. WHAT A WINTER!!! My two hens have done ok, though. I'm new to chickens as well. I got my four ducks and two chicks last year, and so far all are well. We've been spoiled with eggs every day since January. The chickens come out for a stroll if the weather is warmer than - 5 and sunny, but with wind, wet or extreme cold they pretty much stay in the coup.

We have them free ranging, with the coup set up which is my Avatar.

I've ordered a few more chicks for spring and I'm going to renovate my coup tomorrow actually and also build another inside my barn.

Can't wait!!!

10. mojoejoe

mojoejoe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Hi Phil I am also from Ontario north of Huntsville. I have similar questions I think.
    I joined yesterday and got some good responces. Check out this thread and some of the links provided.
    Some good info that might help. Let me know if you find out anything intersting as well please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by