New member from Central Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BeckyJaneDesigns, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BeckyJaneDesigns

BeckyJaneDesigns Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Palm Bay, FL
    Hello everyone!
    I am a new duck owner in Central Florida. I have found that whenever I do Google searches on questions I have, this site pops up, so I thought I needed to get involved in this community so I can glean from all of your experience and wisdom! I have so many questions! [​IMG]

Here is our story so far: We wanted to get some Khakis to raise in our suburban backyard for eggs. We managed to track down four khakis, and picked up a black runner at the same time. They were 3 weeks old when we picked them up in late September. We built a little house for them on a pallet that they get locked into at night. They free-range our backyard during the day. When they got a little bigger we discovered that we had two female khakis, two male khakis, and a male black runner. Sadly, one of the females got sick and died quickly when she was about two months old. We knew that we needed more females before we hit breeding season, so we tracked down two more 'khaki campbell' females. When we got there to pick them up (about 1.5 hours away), we discovered that if they are khakis, they are not purebred. They are a buff color, but are the same size and shape as our khakis. They were about 7 months old when we got them.

We decided that we really want to have just pure khakis, so we ordered some eggs, they are in the incubator now. So excited!! We are planning to keep maybe about 4 females. Once they get close to egg laying age, we are going to sell the buff ducks and the black runner, leaving us with 5 female and 2 male khakis. That is about all we can keep in our small yard!

We have 5 kids ages 10, 8, 5, 3, 18mos. We are really enjoying they fact that they get to be a part of this experience. When we have enough laying females to get extra eggs, we may let one of the kids take on the responsibility of selling the extra.

Besides the ducks we have one dalmation and two ball pythons. [​IMG]

It is so nice to meet you all!!
    Becky

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hello Becky! [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    You have come to the right place for answers, a lot of helpful people here on byc!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from North MS!!! So glad you joined!! [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

9. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs