new member from CT. here’s my coop setup and my ladies

DickMidnight

Crowing
Oct 23, 2021
hey everyone. just moved back in april and had a coop constructed for my wife’s birthday on our new property.

the coop and run were built by a farmer who lives about a mile down the road, and we ended up getting our chickens from him as well.

the coop is 4x8, with a large window, person door, and pop door, and sits inside of an 8x16 enclosed run.

here’s my setup, and i appreciate all feedback.

Attachments

• 3809DED4-1538-44B7-941A-5C0FDAD420E1.jpeg
    3809DED4-1538-44B7-941A-5C0FDAD420E1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 41DAFA67-B286-4205-9E67-90EFDCD08F82.jpeg
    41DAFA67-B286-4205-9E67-90EFDCD08F82.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4002BC6E-799E-4F79-8AFE-AC9B26B0614F.jpeg
    4002BC6E-799E-4F79-8AFE-AC9B26B0614F.jpeg
    910.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CE6A84B4-CAE2-4665-8586-889DFB83E152.jpeg
    CE6A84B4-CAE2-4665-8586-889DFB83E152.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Where is the ventilation in the coop?
I would cut the siding off on the load bearing walls up high even with the bottom of the rafters to open the space between them, cover the areas with 1/2" HC then add a piece of trim to cover the cut edge for additional ventilation at a minimum.
I love the polycarb roof!
Is the space between the rafters in the run closed off?
Weasels and other predators can easily climb the HC walls and get over the top plate without that being closed off.

I love it is there power to coop? I love the feeder. My hens would dirty up that waterer in nothing flat I've gone to horizontal nipples to prevent that. What do neighbors do I'm winter to keep water thawed? Any way welcome here the people here have helped me so much.
no power to the coop. i might change out the waterer before things get really cold. the plan is to run a long extension cord from the house and drop an aquarium heater in their water to keep it thawed.

i’m a little worried i don’t have enough ventilation though. the window on the front and the pop door stay open all the time.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Where is the ventilation in the coop?
I would cut the siding off on the load bearing walls up high even with the bottom of the rafters to open the space between them, cover the areas with 1/2" HC then add a piece of trim to cover the cut edge for additional ventilation at a minimum.
I love the polycarb roof!
Is the space between the rafters in the run closed off?
Weasels and other predators can easily climb the HC walls and get over the top plate without that being closed off.
the large window and the pop door stay open all the time. i might have to cut some vents up by the roof line though.

every gap in the run is covered by hardware cloth, from 30” underground up to the roof. the build started by digging a 3ft deep trench around the footprint of the run. HC was buried around the concrete footings and then backfilled

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

Your Coop looks great, very solid construction. Other than what @DobieLover posted. From the picture it was hard for me to see, but I am guessing you have the HC stapled good on the outside edges on your 4x4's ?

I personally like to screw wood strips around the outside edges on top covering the stapes, to make sure the HC stays in place and does not tear lose. Once again, great looking Coop. :)

Back
Top Bottom