New Member from Dublin, Ireland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JasC, Nov 20, 2016.

1. JasC

JasC New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    Ireland
    Hi,
    I am new to raising chickens. I only started 2 months ago having done a bit of research. I knew absolutely nothing about chickens before then...the last two months with my little flock of four has been a fantastic and enjoyable education...

I have found this site a great resource. There is some great knowledge and some real caring chicken people here...

In the last week a coupe of things have happened that prompted me to join here. My hens are now 22 and 24 weeks old and two (maybe 3!) are laying. One hurt her leg last week, cause unknown. She is hopping on one foot to move. She is eating and drinking fine and does not seem to be overly stressed. I kept her indoors the first couple days and I put her back in the run yesterday. She seems ok apart from still only using one foot. I tried to examine her for signs of illness e.g. Bumbelfoot. She had no outward signs of anything. Her injured leg does feel a lot looser around the hip joint. The only time she reacts (pain) is when I am holding the leg at the hip area. Can anyone suggest what may be wrong and what I can do to help her? I am conscious she cannot scratch or dust bathe as normal now and I don't like to think of her suffering in that sense (normal behaviours). Also, she is not flying/jumping. Prior to this she was the most interested in investigating her surroundings, jumping onto the garden table and onto the top of the run and coop when they would free range.

Second thing, a curiosity really that I have not seen addressed in all my searches. Why do my hens without fail empty the coop of all bedding almost daily? I have started (or tried to!) deep litter as I felt the extra layers of straw would help with warmth now that it is winter here. Again today it's almost emptied. They do this a couple of hours after I open the coop and after eggs are collected. Are they looking for their eggs? Eggs are mostly in the nest box but sometimes hidden in the coop. I'd love to know why they do this[​IMG]

Thanks for having me as a member inlook forward to learning and hopefullly sharing experiences.

James

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi James, it's nice to have you here!

You might be best to post about your injured girl over on the emergencies/diseases forum for ideas on how to help her out. As for the scratching the bedding out of the coop, can you put some sort of narrow board in front of the door so even when they do scratch around in the coop the straw stays inside?

Best of luck to you!

3. JasC

JasC New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    Ireland
    Thanks N F C

I'm not sure what you mean by narrow board but you did get me thinking and I'll try and come up with something that doesn't block access but keeps the straw in! I'm really more curious as to why they do it...

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's what I was meaning...like a narrow slat that you could step over but the chickens couldn't scratch the straw out.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

9. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you James, so glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Who knows what goes on in the minds of chickens???? They will often dump shavings out of a nest box also.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by