New member from East Central Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by [email protected], Aug 13, 2011.

1. peepin@life

[email protected] New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    [​IMG]
    As they say . . . long time listener, first time caller. I've come across this forum many times using search engines and have gleaned very valuable information-just reading other people's questions. I started to imagine what it would be like asking questions, not just reading questions . . . since, I have a few thousand of my own questions, I thought I'd better hurry and join (life is only so long).

I am developing a small hobby-farm in East Central Indiana. My husband and I live with three dogs, two guinea pigs, two horses, assorted fresh-water fish and our newest roommates the thirty-five chickens. We both work. All of the five children of our blended marriage are adults now, and we have an ever-growing number of grandchildren to enjoy.

As a novice chicken person, I intended to invite a few hens to stay at the farm. As a novice chicken person, it happens to be that I didn't end up with a few or with all hens. We purchased six "red pullets" and five Ameraucanas (also supposed to be pullets) from TSC this spring. We soon discovered that only one of the Ameraucanas was a pullet, so we ordered from an Ohio hatchery intending to share the order of twenty-five with one of the employees from TSC for his own farm. That arrangement fell apart, so . . .

We went to the Indiana State Farm this week and visited other chicken people. One of the judges was an encyclopedia of valuable information! We now know that our "red pullets" are red comets-known for loads of brown eggs and big personalities. True, all true! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC. It's very nice meeting you.[​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, [email protected]! Glad you joined Chicken Nation!! [​IMG] Yeah, I also learned the hardway that the "pullets" I purchased from a farm and ranch store were crowing in a few months! [​IMG] Live and learn. I go the hatchery route as well now. Best of luck with your farm!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. FuzzandFurFarm

FuzzandFurFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome! Glad to meet another Indiana Chicken Forum Newbie! [​IMG]
    We're from Northern Indiana!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by