1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member from east Georgia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by harley987, Aug 19, 2016.

1. harley987

harley987 New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Hello! I'm brand new to owning chickens! I just got 3 brown leghorns and 2 EE hybrids.... I think they are a hybrid. The leghorns have been laying since last week they never missed a beat, but the EEs I got came from the same flock and they have yet to lay... Is that normal? I have had them for literally a week now. Maybe I'm just being impatient! Haha thanks ahead of time!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Harley987, and :welcome. Thank you for joining our wonderful community. Leghorns are a breed that starts laying early in their life...EEs may be a little slower. Plus if you just got them they may need a bit longer to get accustomed to their new surroundings. Won't be long. If you're interested a great place to visit is the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. It is full of valuable info for the first time owner. Also, you might like to chat with locals in the GA thread in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best of luck to you and enjoy your birds!

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! X2 on what redsoxs said. They may just be taking a little more time to settle in and start laying. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

4. harley987

harley987 New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Thank you! I figured I just needed to be more patient! Haha I just can't wait to get blue eggs! How often do EE lay?

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Welcome from Middle Georgia, so glad you have joined us.

I have no experience with the EE's - but hope they start laying you those beautiful eggs in plenty soon.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock. Some breeds start laying at early ages, others can take longer. Even siblings may vary.

7. harley987

harley987 New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks everyone! My and my daughter just found a pink one in the bottom on the roost... I was told the EE lay at night! However upon further reading and inspection one of the EEs I bought is molting of course and they never told me so she won't be laying for a while!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. harley987

harley987 New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Thank you so much! One more question... Well for right now! Hahaha does supplementing light during the winter months help or hurt the chickens? Of course I want eggs but not at the cost of their health!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by