New Member From Elk Grove, CA.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by garryc, Feb 29, 2016.

1. garryc

garryc New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    Elk Grove, CA.
    Hello everyone. I've been surfing around on BYC for a few months and finally decided to take the plunge and register for an account. Here is a little bit of information about me.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We am new to chickens. We got our first five chickens as couple day old chicks August of 2014.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have a total of 7 chickens at the moment.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Australorp - Here name is Izzy:

[​IMG]

White Brahma - Daisy and Nancy:
    *We think Nancy might be a cross breed with a White Leg Horn.

[​IMG]
    - Daisy

[​IMG]
    - Nancy

Easter Egger - Poly and Carmella:

[​IMG]
    - Polly

[​IMG]
    - Carmella

Welsummer — Brownie and Lucky:

[​IMG]

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Youtube and Google.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Parenting, family stuff. Working on our lawn, planting bushes, shrubs and trees. Landscaping, gardening.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Two kids. 9 year old daughter and 6 year old son. They both love the chickens a lot and play with them every day. We chickens roam free in our some-what large backyard pretty much all day. They have open access to their run and coop during the day and get secured into their coop at dusk. I work from home as a customer service / tech support phone rep. My wife is a stay at home mom. We have one dog, two cats, one rabbit, two doves, and a conure. We live on a 1/3 acre lot in a residential neighborhood in Elk Grove, CA.

[​IMG]
    - Our backyard (it's a little messy!)

[​IMG]
    - Our chicken run and coop. The run is 8x16 and the coop is approximately 8x6. On the far side of the coop is what we call the "air lock". It's basically a 8x6 room that allows you to get half way into / out of the run. I added this for added safety measure. On the opposite side of the coop is an 8x6 tool shed. (pic shown below)

[​IMG]
    - The chickens like being in the tool shed as well. lol

We've been having a blast with the chickens. I never thought that chickens would make such amazing, entertaining, loving pets. Any how, that's my intro. I look forward to meeting people and learning even more about raising backyard chickens.

Best regards,
    Garry C.

1 person likes this.
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Garry

Glad you could join the flock! I've really enjoyed reading all about your chickens and the family. I must say they look very happy there in the tool shed, ashame they can't use the lawn mower and save you a job :lau
    Great pics, thanks for posting them!

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC Gary - glad that you have joined us and thanks for the intro and photos.

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Garry, [​IMG]

What a great intro, thanks for sharing your pictures! It's nice when raising poultry is a family hobby...there's so much to learn and it's entertaining too.

Make yourself at home here and if you would like to chat with other members in CA, you can find your state thread here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Nice to have you here!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Gary, Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. Your introduction was very entertaining. I especially like you "air lock," I think it is a great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by