New Member from Gloucestershire UK

Batch237

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Good evening! I am brand new to chickens, well 12 months into it but know nothing! Started off with 4, just introduced another 4 and started to have a few problems. One developed a snotty cough, a vet visit put the lot on antibiotics and worming. The same bird has started moulting and one of the new ones is being picked on. Other than that, we all think they are ace! Am looking forward to learning more from this forum :)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about the troubles you have had! Hope everything is fine now!

Glad you joined and feel free to ask questions.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Introducing new birds to a flock needs to be done slowly not only to prevent aggression but disease. The new ones need to be quarantined so the rest of your flock stays healthy.

If you are still getting a lot of aggression, you can put the newbies in a cage or fenced off area for a few weeks so the old flock can see them but can't touch them. After a couple weeks you can mix them in with less aggression.

I hope you can get all this cleared up and on with the fun of keeping chickens!

Batch237...Welcome to BYC....

Yes...Vets in the UK are expensive...

The charges you mention for consultation and treatment are similar to what it would cost for my German Shepherd dog to be treated for the same issues...maybe look on ebay to see what it would cost for the same drugs...

Oxytetracycline is a good antibiotic

Panacur (for horses) is a very good de-wormer

pm me if you want an efficient and reliable supplier that will post to the UK at reasonable cost

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for the problems you've had with your chooks. You've been given some good advice and links by the other members so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom