New Member from Hawaii

victoriasueno

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm Victoria, I just joined. I recently found myself the new parent of a Muscovy duck. He was originally at a farm store for sale, but he broke his leg as a duckling. The owners were going to put him down because they figured no one would want to buy a duck with a broken leg.
A friend of mine happened to be at the store while they were talking about killing him, and my friend, being the compassionate soul that he is, decided to buy the duckling. He took him to the vet where they said that the leg wasn't broken and would heal with time. My friend spent 6 months and hundreds of dollars on this one duck to get him back into shape.
His landlord told him that he could keep the duck so long as he cleaned up after it and ONLY until it was healthy. Once it was healthy he didn't know what to do with him but he was hoping to find a good home. I heard that this duck needed a home, even a temporary one, and I opened my backyard to him. He's been there ever since. I've absolutely fallen in love with him and he is a pet. His name is Emilio, cause, you know, he's a Mighty Duck.
Anyway, I've been trying to do my research, read books and such on ducks. I've bought him a Guardian Gear dog pool (which he loves) and a coop to live in. The coop hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but it should be here in a few days. For now He has a cinderblock and wood pallet home. He has a fenced off area in the backyard where he stays at night and during the day he has free reign over my yard.

He's been eating mostly live fish and live crayfish. The neighborhood kids have been in the nearby stream catching food for him every weekend. Additionally we've given him a few treats such as papayas, bananas and pineapple. I've been supplementing his food with dry cat food. Right now he's eating Merrick Purffect Bistro Salmon which is 74% protein. His cat food has been mixed with oats, sunflower seeds and corn kernels. He seems to like it a lot.
Ideally I'd like to get another Muscovy to keep him company. I feel like it's mean that he's by himself.

Other than that I just wanted to say hi.

I also have three dogs, a 6 year old Yorkie named Mr Belvedere and two 7 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniels named Penny and Harper.

images

Welcome to BYC!

What a good story with a happy ending! He is one luck duck to have came to you. Hopefully your coop comes soon. I wouldn't want any predators to get in at night and hurt him. You might want to stop by our Duck section for lots of help with taking care and feeding of Emilio....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Enjoy this wonderful cutie pie of yours and welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Emilio is one lucky duck, glad he recovered without problems, and he is one pretty boy, love his coloring. X2 on check out the Ducks forum TwoCrows linked. If you are looking for a commercial feed for him, most feed stores will carry some sort of Flock Raiser food that will work for ducks, even if they don't carry a waterfowl food.

You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of poultry keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center And it is always fun to check out your state thread for poultry keeping neighbors and it is a good place to check out/ post on to find local birds, maybe somebody knows where you can get him a some ladies. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/117644/any-other-hawaiians-out-there

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Because I live in a fairly urban area the worst predators I have are feral cats. However Emilio came up against one the other day and I saw him peck the living daylights out of it. I was one proud mama! Either way the coop will be here this weekend, and until then he's spending the nights in my bedroom!

I'll make sure to check out the recommendations.

Thank you again!!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Because I live in a fairly urban area the worst predators I have are feral cats. However Emilio came up against one the other day and I saw him peck the living daylights out of it. I was one proud mama! Either way the coop will be here this weekend, and until then he's spending the nights in my bedroom!

I'll make sure to check out the recommendations.

Thank you again!!
OMG is this adorable!!!
love.gif
I think your bedroom is a safe place til you get the coop. This will keep him safe and you can snuggle with him at night too! :)

Aloha Victoria,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Muscovy well it is kind of like a duck just no quack and will roost in trees
ya.gif

Bob & Aflack taking a noon snooze
love.gif

Our new additions
yippiechickie.gif

gander007
old.gif