New member from Hawaii

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DitchwaterSal, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DitchwaterSal

DitchwaterSal New Egg

Jun 13, 2014
    Hawaii
    I am a new member to the site from Hawaii. We are anxiously awaiting our chick shipment from Chickensforbackyards.com. We have had some hiccups with them already and now I am starting to worry about our chicks which are due to ship tomorrow. I assumed they will be shipped USPS Priority Express vs. USPS Priority since when I placed the order in June my shipping charges were $34.99 + $25.00 (for permits) but I have been looking around the forum and other hatchery websites and see that Priority is used even for Hawaii shipments so I started to really fret about this and emailed the person I have been corresponding with at Chickensforbackyards and now suddenly I cannot get a reply to two emails which is odd since she has been really quick in the past so I called and spoke to someone who had no idea which USPS method is used but that it should arrive within 3 days.

Sadly, 3 days transit for Priority to reach me is the exception, sometimes things arrive in 3 but more often they don't. Needless to say i'm just getting sick about this and trying to stay hopeful that they will be sent Express and if they aren't I really hope they can get here safe and alive because if they don't arrive by Saturday........ [​IMG]

If anyone has any knowledge of the shipping method they use or advice I would love to hear it, Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Aloha, and welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Unfortunately, I can't help you with Chickensforbackyards.com as I've never used them, but if you order again in the future, I would recommend using Idea Poultry in Cameron, TX (http://www.idealpoultry.com/). When I lived on the big island of Hawaii, I ordered from them several times, and they got my chicks to me in a very timely manner. I only lost a couple of chicks total, and since they put 2 or 3 extra in the boxes, I got what I paid for. Not only was I happy with their service and birds, but they have a huge selection of breeds. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck wi da flock, Bruddah.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Or maybe, Sistah. :eek:)

4. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Aloha and….

[​IMG] from Washington! BYC is the best fowl website you can find.[​IMG] I hope you feel glad you signed up! In our flock we have great people and it is always great to have a new member:) In our flock, we have no pecking order!

[​IMG]

By the way, not saying that you will do anything bad, but no fowl play[​IMG]

The info that was given will be very useful.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have no idea either how they will be shipped to you. Having chicks shipped is stressful and being Hawaii would make it even worse, I would imagine. I will say a wee prayer for their safe journey to you. And keep us posted!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on what Two Crows said. Hope you can get it figured out.

7. DitchwaterSal

DitchwaterSal New Egg

Jun 13, 2014
    Hawaii
    Thanks so much for the kind replies and suggestions. I'll keep my hopes high and get an update on here as soon as I have info or pics.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Aloha, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

That is a true bummer and you haven't received a tracking # oh I sure hope you can get your chicks safely [​IMG]

Keep us updated on what happens [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry to be coming in late about this -- I hope your chicks have arrived and are safe & healthy. US priority mail is a joke they do not update shipping information till late at night - if you have the tracking number. Their overnight express is a bigger joke, even in contiguous USA they say your birds will arrive by noon the next day. I had a friend who had birds arrive 3 days later and one time 4 days later . The chicks required some extra care to get them going.

If you have something called gro gel that will help the chicks bounce back. It's very important also to get them to drink as soon as you have them- as they usually are dehydrated

Would you please update this thread once they arrive, we really do care how things turn out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by