New Member from Idaho

dozen

Hatching
Mar 7, 2017
Thinking about making a chicken tractor. My yard waters daily by auto sprinklers, if I put a full roof on mine and a coop do You think the chickens would be alright for 30 minutes of a little shower everyday . I guess it's like living in a rainy area. I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, I will do a little research . Thanks for the group info

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, dozen, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Not sure on your question...I've had birds that seem to not mind the rain and others act like the sky is falling. Might be a concern when it is cool or cold if they get wet. You might post in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance and see what the folks that patrol that thread have to say on the matter. And if you'd like to chat with "local" poultry folk - visit the ID thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
celebrate.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not sure if that will work or not but redsoxs has given you some good links to look for an answer.

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

welcome-byc.gif
I've seen how much water auto sprinklers put out and the grass gets very wet. I would think chickens wouldn't have a chance to dry out in a tractor.

G’Day from down under dozen
frow.gif
Welcome!

redsoxs has given you some great starting points.

I agree with everyone else in that damp chickens, especially at bed time is not ideal. However, if they are not getting wet and it is during the day a 30 minutes shower is nothing. Living subtropical we have torrential rain and with the covered run, have never had a girl go to roost wet or damp. As Drumstick Diva has mentioned, it would probably depend on the strength of the sprinklers and the direction they are pointing.

If you are going to have the coop section of the tractor raised, could you water at night when they are sleeping and covered?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Welcome to BYC! Great to have ya here!
I assume it would be about the same as if it rained and my chickens don't mind the rain at all! Of course, if they're young and/or sick you don't want to let them get too wet but a nice healthy hen should be able to handle it IMHO.

Make it a great day!

Micah

Howdy, howdy, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad you were able to join us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom