New member from Illinois

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EggcellentEgger, Jan 15, 2017.

1. EggcellentEgger

EggcellentEgger New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Hello everyone , just signed up to take my raising chickens 101 class that is mandatory to get my permit from city to have 6 hens lol. I have a few months to wait witch gives me plenty of time to build a coop and learn from all you guys.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Nice deer in your avatar! BYC is an excellent place to pick up all the knowledge you will need for your future chickens.
    The Learning Center is loaded with useful information spanning the entire range of chicken keeping.
    Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And if you'd like to chat with some of your poultry keeping neighbors, find the IL thread thread in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes with your coop construction and future flock! :)

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Hello again, glad you introduced yourself [​IMG].

This is the first time I've heard of a Chicken 101 to get a permit, but IMO it would help a lot of folks to have some education before making the plunge. I wonder if the class is more directed at learning the ordinances or includes Chicken raising specifics?

Do visit the Learning Center And Coops pages for a lot of experienced information.

Feel free to post questions, we're here to help.

4. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

That's interesting you have to take classes to get a permit...maybe not a bad idea if it keeps people from getting in over their heads and needing to re-home chickens.

Good luck to you and if you have questions, always feel free to ask!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

6. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC. You'll learn fast that chickens become addictive. Not sure what your limit is where you live but you will likely end up capping it. You doing eggs, meat, or dual purpose?

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under EggcellentEgger [​IMG] Welcome!

Some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by