New Member from Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by loriclem, Aug 28, 2014.

1. loriclem

loriclem Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    Hello,
    My name is Lori I live in Waynetown Indiana. For the past year and a half my husband started raising rabbits. We have an two and a half year old grandson that we have custody of and we figured being that we live in a rural community that is agricultural based we would also raise bantam chickens. A few weeks ago I recieved a message via Facebook from one of our town council members that chickens were banned from our small town. I was not cited for having these chickens just informed that I had to get rid of them. We did this in hopes of getting our grandson interested in farm animals. At two and a half with the help of his papaw he would go out feed and water the rabbits and chickens and also clean and maintain their pens. All this ban from my understanding came about because of one persons negligence and respect of others in the community. Next month my plans are to be at the town board meeting and to request to be put on the agenda to speak to our town council about allowing chickens (specifically hens). Any insight, support would be greatly appreciated.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm so sorry to hear you're having to give up your flock. I just don't understand these ordinances? Either way, start a thread in the Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances forum section, put your location in the thread title, and go ask for local support in your state thread as well, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/0_30 and see what you guys can do about this. A number of our members have successfully changed chicken laws and ordinances in their towns already, so it can be done. Best of luck and [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I am so sorry! That is just awful! Definitely follow the links that Sumi has provided for help and support. I sure hope you can keep your flock. [​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about you having to get rid of your chickens. [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the problems you are having, hope you are able to get the ordinances changed and are able to keep your flock.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry you have to get rid of your birds!

7. loriclem

Aug 21, 2014
    Oh im not giving up easily. I am fighting this!!!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope things will work out in your favor [​IMG]

9. loriclem

Aug 21, 2014
    I spoke with a womand who lives here in town the boardmember who is responsible for seeing that ordinances are kept in this woman area was told that her horse and goat could stay. She was told that her animals were grandfathered in because they were here prior to the ordinance. She is going to the next meeting with me and stating this directly to the board. Plus I have five families who also want to raise chickens!!!!!!!!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry you have to fight this ban. Sumi has provided you with some good links. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting the ban on chickens overturned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by