New Member from Kurdistan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chelsea-85, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Chelsea-85

Chelsea-85 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Kurdistan
    Hi everyone,

I joined this website about two weeks ago, I just wanted to say Hi to all of you from Kurdistan.

I would like to exchange thoughts regarding chickens breeding and share Kurdish opinions with you since we may have some local ideas (experiences in the area) not heard in yours, for example "putting an iron knife or a piece of bar under the eggs of a broody hen to protect the eggs from thunder lights", "smearing combs, wattle, and anus of a rooster to decrease crowing" and "putting odd number of eggs under broody hen to maximize the hatched ones" and many others which may be found weird to you :)

Best Regards

rjohns39, ShannonR, alexa009 and 15 others like this.
  2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I'm very interested in how other cultures keep and manage their flocks.
    So, what are 'thunder lights'?
    What do you smear on the rooster to decrease crowing?

3. Chelsea-85

Chelsea-85 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Kurdistan
    Thank you dear, it seems that different cultures keep flocks differently (at least in some issues).
    It is believed that a piece of iron under the eggs of a broody hen would protect the eggs and the hen from the consequences of thunder lighting if one struck the coop.
    It is also common (not scientifically) that if you smear a rooster's wattle, comb and anus by olive oil, his crowing would lessen (I myself tried this, and worked to some extend :) ).

4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Do you house your chickens in coops, particularly at night time?
    What type of predators do you have in your area?

5. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    People who keep chickens do some really weird stuff.
    A few examples;
    They put little jackets on their hens that cover the hens back in an attempt to stop the hens feathers getting pulled out during mating.
    They cut the roosters spurs! How weird is that? The rooster is supposed to have spurs. Sure, if they are so sharp they damage the hen, filing the point smooth makes sense.
    They cut off the roosters comb because some people think this looks better or because the combs may get frostbite.
    Some people put baby nappies on chickens that they keep in the house.
    I’ve read of people putting golf balls in nests to encourage hens to lay their eggs there.
    I let the chickens wander about in my house.:p

6. Chelsea-85

Chelsea-85 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Kurdistan
    I live in city, not in village. I have a small coop with 2 pullets and a cockerel. In the city my birds have never been attacked by any predators, but eagles, hawks, wild dogs and wolves have attacked domestic birds in the villages especially those areas near mountains (Kurdistan has many series of mountains).
    Almost all villagers keep chickens and they have large backyard coops as well as breeding livestock animals (sheep, cow, lamb, goat...etc). But I live in city where fewer people keep chickens at home in small coops made by woods and constructive bricks.

7. Chelsea-85

Chelsea-85 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Kurdistan
    :D exactly the same happens here :) Apart from those, there is a special zone in the middle of the city market for roosters' fight. They bet on large amounts of money. It is just like a wrestling game fought by roosters.

Moreover, some people cut the rooster's wattle before the fight and pour a little bit of cracked hot pepper; it makes him a monster :) He even pursuits the owner, fact and bitter.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Chelsea. Hope you will utilize and enjoy Backyard Chickens as much as we do.

9. Chelsea-85

Chelsea-85 Songster

Dec 24, 2018
    Kurdistan
    Thank you dear, and I am really delighted to join this community full of nice people.

10. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi and welcome Chelsea-85 :frow
    It's wonderful for different cultures to share knowledge, who knows, some day we may just know it all :D
    Looking forward to hearing more about your tips n tricks on chicken keeping. Good to have you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: