New Member from Liverpool Just saying Hi .

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Casso, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Casso

Casso In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2018
    Hi Everyone. I've been looking in on the site fairly regularly since getting my two hens as a present for Father's day, 18th June here in England. I was told at the time they are Rhode Island Red X Buff Orpington. I've enjoyed browsing the forum pages and have learnt so much while doing so, I felt it only right I should Join properly so I can at least say thank you, and hopefully contribute to other posts in the future.
    I was a complete newcomer to keeping chickens before I discovered BYC and wanted to make sure I was going to look after my girls properly while also giving them the best life I could so I did the research as soon as I heard from my partner what the children had in mind as a present.
    They have the free range of my enclosed rear garden which measures 50' x 40' and a warm dry hen house with an automatic door set to open and close at sunrise and sunset.
    A great surprise I had was to find out how tame hens can become. My two squabble for the best place on my knee when I sit on my patio chair and will follow me about the garden all day.
    I had no idea what to expect regarding egg production, the only thing the farmer told me was " if they're happy they'll start laying in a few weeks, but expect them to stop late December until late February "
    They laid their first eggs on August 3rd and I haven't had an egg less day since. Although there has been an odd occasion when I could only find one egg, most days there's one in each nest
    box. Both eggs are also very big, much larger than Jumbo supermarket eggs, so if the farmer is right, at least I can deduce my Mabel and June are happy enough with their lot.
    My grown up children who were behind the Father's day gift, think I've now gone 'chicken mad' but since discovering BYC, at least I know I'm not the only one.
    So a big heart felt thanks to everyone at BYC for everything up to now, a great learning curve, and I know lots more help in the future.
    Casso.

KLIL, alexa009, JedJackson and 12 others like this.
  2. Larry55

Larry55 Songster

Feb 11, 2018
    New York State
    Enjoy ur time here.

KLIL, JedJackson, Chick-N-Fun and 7 others like this.
  3. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome Casso! "Chicken mad" is a good thing (and your children only have themselves to blame anyway)!

That is really good egg production. I've had Rhode Island Reds that have been really good to me (big eggs and many of them) and a couple of Buff Orpingtons that were decent layers (and really sweet hens). Sounds like you got a couple good ones!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Casso, and welcome to BYC. I agree with @Plip 'Chicken mad' is the best kind of 'mad' one can be.

KLIL, JedJackson, CCUK and 9 others like this.
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

6. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    1250975-e530f5c70399b5af13bf80ba4bf44a8d.jpg Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers

7. Latestarter

Latestarter Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    Greetings and welcome to BYC Casso! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Typically, chickens in their first year will continue to lay through their first winter. Generally, they'll have their first "real" molt this coming fall/winter and stop laying while they re-grow their feathers, then start back up in the spring as the days lengthen. Since hens have their best laying period in the first 2-3 years, that will be about the time to start thinking of a couple of additions/replacements.

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like the high production egg layer genes come from the RIR and the personality of the Buff orp. Would love to see photos of your girls- what a great present they turned out to be.

KLIL, JedJackson, Chick-N-Fun and 8 others like this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under Casso :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

KLIL, JedJackson, Chick-N-Fun and 6 others like this.
  10. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    KLIL, JedJackson, Chick-N-Fun and 5 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: