New member from Logan County, Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drafthorserider, Feb 14, 2012.

1. drafthorserider

drafthorserider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Near Bellefontaine, OH
    Hi Everyone,
    I am thrilled to have found such a wonderful and informative forum. I just joined the other day and have only spoken to a few of you, but you certainly seem to be a very helpful and supportive group. I am looking forward to participating for many years.

We have had layers for 4 years and currently have some hybrids (golden comet and red sex link) and some purebreds- barred Plymouth rock, black australorp, buckeye, and rhode island red.

We aren't going to replace the hybrids in the future. They were very nice chickens (very easy-going), but overwhelmed our small family with eggs and now are dying off at 4 years.

We are moving toward the buckeye breed as our duel purpose breed as the hens I happened upon out of chance (was looking for some new laying hens and found some for sale without searching specifically for the breed) have stolen the show. They are inquisitive, friendly, calm, stout, and hearty. We are also looking to start raising our own birds for meat (we have only done eggs thus far) as we want to know what goes into our food and also ensure that our food has had the best possible life it could versus commercially raised meats. If anyone has any buckeyes for sale (rooster, hens, or straight run chicks) send me a pm as we are looking for a few more to start raising a flock of our own. Must meet the breed standards for the breed as we would eventually like to qualify as having Heritage chickens.

Any advice is always appreciated :)
    Thanks for reading,
    Kristi

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Welcome.
    Your reason for raising chickens is similar to mine and besides, they're addictive.
    I almost got buckeyes last year but since my breeding has filled all possible space I'll have to wait.

There is a lady in western MO that is a breeder of very nice show quality buckeyes and will ship chicks.
    I can PM her contact info if you want.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. drafthorserider

drafthorserider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Near Bellefontaine, OH
    Thank you for the support and yes, I would appreciate her information.

I also agree that yes, they are very addictive. I love how peaceful they are and the fact that wherever they are or whatever they have they seem to be enjoying their surroundings. We also have horses and some cats and sometimes they look a bit dissatisfied at times even though they are doing perfectly fine. I like that the chickens are happily scratching away whereever they happen to be and are happy to see whatever I might be bringing them.

4. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from southern Ohio!!!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
  10. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by