New member from Louisiana

harryg6167

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Kentwood
Just dropping a few lines to introduce myself.
My name is Harry and I am from southeas Louisiana. Unfortunately due to a back injury I am no longer able to work. I am maried to a wonderful wife and have 3 great kids, ages20,12,11 (2 daughters and son).
All the problems I have with my back was getting me kinda stressed so my children all ganged up on me and said I needed to get chickens again because as long as I had chicks to fool with I stayed "calm".
Guess they were right. Don't get a lot of sleep at night so was talkng to a lady the other day who was buying some of my chickens from me ad she told me about this site. I just signed up and can already see that I will have plenty to do on those sleepless nights now.
Right now I have 17 red stars, 5 silver laced wyandottes, 5 buff orpingtons, 10 california whites and 7 bantms that I do not really know what exactly they are.
I am wanting to sell a few more of what I have but when I get someone interested in buying I find myself not wanting to sell. My plans are to expand my chicken house and yard, and section some of it offto raise a few different breeds of pure breds to raise and sell. I just don't know what all I want to get except I do want to raise some Jersey Black Giants.
Anyone with suggestions I will surely take any adviece I am not new to raising chickens but have only raised a few different breeds myself.
Right now I have a chickenhouse with an open run wth covered top. I let them out a few times a day to scratch and forage a little but have )to put them back in the pen whenever I go inside due to stray dogs. (My last flock I lost 17 one day and 14 a fewweeks later. Both times I had them out and had to leave suddenly and mycousins dogs paid a visit. They did pay me for the loss but that wasn't like having my chickens around.
Well I am going to shut up before I get throwed out of this group for talking to much. ( I like to talk but sometimes I ramble on a little too much so ya'll just tell me to shut up if I do)

welcome-byc.gif
A hearty big welcome from Maine! You probably should limit your time here...addiction happens all to quickly- ha ha ha!
Seriously, its a great site, I'm most certain you will meet many new friends and need another 2 coops!

welcome-byc.gif
Harry sounds like u are going to have a lot of fun with chickens. Thumbsup on the Black Jersey Giants. I have found Mt Healthy hatchery has very good chicks in that breed and if u buy 100 they give u 50 chicks for free! Drop by the chat sometime , many here start with similar plans. There is a section for incubation also that keeps you from getting a chicken obcession
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom