1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member from Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pw_quiltworks, Jan 29, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Hi Everyone,
    I am from Maine. I have 6 red sex link hens, two cats, and a husband. I grew up on Chebeague Island, Maine and worked in the family business on a lobster boat hauling lobster and crab traps. Mom and I picked crabmeat when Dad and I got home from hauling. I did this for several years. Long hours. 5am to midnight. It wasn't every day but at least 4 days a week. It was the best experience I have ever had. It makes a person tough to do that kind of work. Sub zero temps on the water in the middle of winter. It was a hard living. I went on to be a certified nurses aid and now I am retired and making quilts for a hobby/living. I sell my quilts on ebay and trade them for items I find of interest. It started as a hobby and became a living. I also design make doilies. Dh and I live in Old Town, Maine with two cats and our hens. My dh is a truck driver and a school bus driver. He is the smart one and I am the gifted one. We live a very simple quiet life. Sadly [​IMG] we don't have any kids. I think I am a little too old now for kids.
    Priscilla

2. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

Wow, we love pictures around here. Could you please post some of your quilts and doilies. Sounds like you will be an interesting member.

Look forward to seeing you here!

3. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice to meet you, Priscilla!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome Old Town! Don't feel bad about not having children, think of all the money you saved and are saving! LOL. Childless myself, doesn't mean I didn't have my child experiences of chicken pox etc.
    Sounds like the both of you have had a good life, honest. That says a lot about you, but I really know you are a good person cause you take orders from your hens!
    [​IMG]
    Take care and below is a site that is general chit chat in New England!

New England! Much ado about New England
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1518970#p1518970

[​IMG]

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Welcome to BYC Priscilla [​IMG] Pics of your hens too????

6. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, Priscilla. I also live in Maine and make quilts as a hobby. I am a retired nurse. Do you go to the quilting show in Augusta? Maybe we could meet a bunch of chicken loving quilters there for a quick hello. I believe it is in July at the Civic Center. We may have to start a new thread for it if there is any interest, but welcome to this most helpful and friendly group! Merry

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Welcome! I love your cat quilt that you had up for trade the other day.

10. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Nice to meet you. I have been to the quilt show a couple of times. Such gorgeous art. I went last year with the girls from the quilting class I have here on Tuesdays. The group here seems very nice and helpful. I have already got some great answers and a couple of links that are very handy. Thanks for the welcome.
    Priscilla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by