1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member from Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hbarn, Mar 14, 2009.

1. hbarn

hbarn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    A quick hello from a new member in Maine. I had chickens years ago and have always wanted to keep them again. I found this site through a search and have found it invaluable for researching this project. Until now I'd just been reading all the posts and learning but was able to find a BYC member close to me who had some stock for sale and now am the proud owner of four beautiful birds! My thanks to Jennifer at Solsken Farm for my little flock, 2 buff orp pullets, a gorgeous wheaten ameraucana roo, and a lovely EE hen who laid an egg within hours of moving in, what a great proponent for the chicken fancy! I'm hooked.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Welcome, and Congratulations on the new chickens

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome to BYC!

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

hbarn- welcome to BYC!! We are having a Chickenstock May 30th over here in Oxford, Love to meet you and your family!!!
    (and other Chickenstocks too)

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG] Lots of mainers joining today!

8. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Welcome from a fellow mainer. It's a wonderful site, and raising chickens is amazingly fun! [​IMG]

9. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome hbarn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so wonderful to have you out to the farm. Thank you for letting me know how well Lizzie and the gang settled in! You ARE hooked![​IMG]

10. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I second Jennifer's birds. I picked up several from her just after Christmas. Thanks to her I have an Ameraucana pair, a trio of Welsummers, a Salmom Fav roo, and a Mille Fluer d'uccle pair. All are doing great.
    And as an added bonus she gave me a dozen eggs that I tried hatching. Out of the twelve, 11 hatched and 10 survived. From the looks I think I have 2 EE (probably roos), 1 brabanter, and 7 marans. They are now around seven weeks old and have graduated to the basement brooder. Now if the snow would just melt more they can make their way outside.
    To think I only wanted a few chickens;).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by