New member from Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BackYarding GC, Jun 8, 2016.

1. BackYarding GC

BackYarding GC New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Hi, just joined BYC and am looking to meet people who already have pet chickens and to get some information before I decide if I want to start a flock of birds at some point.

Been reading up and researching so that I can figure out if I should get some chickens in the future.

So far I have been looking at the Australorp due to their kind/gentle nature and that they can deal with cold winters.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us. It took me a couple of years to decide to get my own backyard flock, and my only regret is that I waited to get them. They are a pleasure to raise and tend.

Here's a couple of links to help you decide:

The Pros & Cons of Raising Chickens

Why Raise Chickens?

4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have certainly come to the right place for all the fun and learning!!

YES...you MUST keep Australorps!!! LOL I can tell you, they are the only breed I will keep anymore. My Black Australorps are the most docile, gentle, very affectionate lap sitting chickens you could possibly own. They follow me around like drooling puppies and beg for me to sit with them. I can't sit down without them wanting on my lap! LOL They are very cold and heat tolerate, they don't have many of the laying issues that other breeds have since they mature later in life than other breeds. (gives their laying machines time to fully develop before laying) and they are just all around sweet birds. I will NEVER keep a flock without some Aussies in it!! And when they molt into their new fall feathers each year...they are gorgeous! Aussies have more feathers than most breeds...they are just so soft and fluffy! So yes, consider the Black Australorp!!! The Blue Splash Australorps are very pretty if you want color and are just as sweet as the black.

Good luck on your journeys and if you have any questions about things, feel free to ask. Oh and stop by our Learning Center too for all kinds of great articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Welcome to our roost! :)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. BackYarding GC

BackYarding GC New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Thank you for the warm welcome everyone, the main reason I am not getting birds at this time is not being fully prepared yet and one of my two dogs will try to eat them. My dog is very active and he loves to get into things, he is also a big barker.

Still plan to get birds at some point but need to learn more about how to keep them responsably.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I know how difficult dogs can be and some never do learn that chickens are not their dinner!

You might stop by this thread and do some reading. I have heard some success stories here on BYC over the years... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...d-chickens-tips-for-a-harmonious-introduction

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the BYC flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by