New Member From Michigan!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stahlt12345, Mar 12, 2013.

1. stahlt12345

stahlt12345 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Hello, my name is Teresa. I live in Michigan. When I was a little girl I helped feed and collect my grandmothers eggs. I loved it!!!!! :) Didn't care so much for the "WATCH FOR THE ROOSTER!" warning though. Gosh, I never took my eyes off of him...lol. Anyway, I have always loved how much fun it was to feed the chickens and gather the eggs.

I recently purchased a Farm Innovators Model 4200 Incubator with fan and automatic egg turner. I am going tomorrow to pick up 3 dozen eggs from Buff Orpington hens. Picked that breed...because the roosters are supposed to be docile. Lol, some things just do not leave the brain... "WATCH FOR THE ROOSTER!". I was very disappointed in the lack of instruction with the incubator. So, if anyone has the model and would like to advise me. I did call the company as it reads to disinfect the unit prior to use. I was told to use a bleach and water solution.

Looking forward to learning. I am hoping to raise as organic as possible chickens/eggs. My one question...how do you insure you are not feeding a modified corn?

Thank you!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. You can try the "feeding and watering" section for your corn question and the "Incubating and Hatching Eggs" section for assistance in hatching

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Teresa, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Not too experienced with Buff Orp roosters but the hens are awesome! I actually believe any roo can be gentle if handled correctly BEFORE he gets mean. In reference to your incubator, I typed in that model in the BYC search bar and got several hits - might give it a try! Best wishes and happy hatching!!! Unsure on the modified corn question - might post on the link below with that question.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Yes, I think a lot of us here were or still ARE being chased by roosters. LOL I got chased by a mean Leghorn rooster as a kid as well. Left me with thoughts of poultry running thru my head all my life. LOL

Good luck with the hatch and welcome to the forums!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Stop by the Michigan thread and say Hi - look in the Where are you- Where am I section of the forum.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Teresa, welcome to BYC and back to poultry keeping. Good luck with the incubation.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. stahlt12345

stahlt12345 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you for the greetings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by